Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Booked my first trackday just now. I'm really stoked. More than likely still doing CSS too later on in October, but I just couldn't stand waiting any more. Feeling like my achilles is ready to go and I've been cleared for physical activity. I'm really stoked.

Price was only $135 and that includes a first trackday riding school. Hoping to learn a lot.

https://m.facebook.com/events/740808632731791?acontext={"ref":104,"action_history":"null"}&aref=104

There's the FB event in case any of you are interested. Price will go back up to $165 after the 13th!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Be prepared to part with much of your disposable income because track days are addicting! I rode my first track day in August of last year and have done 35+ track days at 14 different tracks so far and I'm nowhere near done...
Thanks dude. To be honest, I'm hoping I'd rather spend my money doing that rather than spending my money on booze and going out. I welcome the addiction. I'm hoping I enjoy it so much that I get a few more trackdays this year before the weather goes to sh*t. Seems like this is the best time for So Cal though; not too hot and just hot enough.

Needless to say, I'm stoked!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Thanks dude. To be honest, I'm hoping I'd rather spend my money doing that rather than spending my money on booze and going out. I welcome the addiction. I'm hoping I enjoy it so much that I get a few more trackdays this year before the weather goes to sh*t. Seems like this is the best time for So Cal though; not too hot and just hot enough.

Needless to say, I'm stoked!
Dude, you live in SoCal...the weather never really goes to shit there! Perfect track day weather is 60s and sunny with no wind or just a mild breeze. 50s is still acceptable as long as it's not really windy or raining. And how often does it get below 50 in the middle of the afternoon there?? ;)

Reactions: StevenAthas

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should be there
Awesome. I'm pretty sure you'll be in the faster group but If you see me, come say hi. Seems like it's gonna be a pretty full day. Found out a few guys I met a some weeks ago on Mulholland are going too.

Dude, you live in SoCal...the weather never really goes to shit there! Perfect track day weather is 60s and sunny with no wind or just a mild breeze. 50s is still acceptable as long as it's not really windy or raining. And how often does it get below 50 in the middle of the afternoon there?? ;)
It's hardly ever in the 50's bro lol. But if it is, it's usually raining. Wind is something else though. It does get pretty windy in the high desert. Hope it's not too windy out there.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
It's hardly ever in the 50's bro lol. But if it is, it's usually raining. Wind is something else though. It does get pretty windy in the high desert. Hope it's not too windy out there.
Since you're talking to a guy from the great plains of Nebraska :eek:...I have to ask...what exactly do you mean by "pretty windy"? Over here it's common to get over 20 mph, with gusts around 30-35. And on occasion it gets to 25-30 with gusts of 40ish mph. Really nice when you get that behind you on a long straight away to give you that extra 5-10 mph at the end of the straight :yo:...just gotta remember to brake a bit earlier! ;) But it kinda sucks when you're going against it and you're wondering if there's something wrong with your bike because it doesn't feel like it's accelerating as hard! lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Weather is relative to what you're used to. I've ridden track with highs in the 40's with light rain and wind and while it was absolutely cold, I still did it! That's just how addicting it is! I live in St. Louis and last winter I drove to JenningsGp in January and February to get my fix. 13 hour drive (one way) for me. you have been warned, LOL!!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my only issue now is getting the bike to and from the track without paying an outlandish amount of money. Anyone know of a service or truck rental company that doesn't charge mileage?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you're talking to a guy from the great plains of Nebraska :eek:...I have to ask...what exactly do you mean by "pretty windy"? Over here it's common to get over 20 mph, with gusts around 30-35. And on occasion it gets to 25-30 with gusts of 40ish mph. Really nice when you get that behind you on a long straight away to give you that extra 5-10 mph at the end of the straight :yo:...just gotta remember to brake a bit earlier! ;) But it kinda sucks when you're going against it and you're wondering if there's something wrong with your bike because it doesn't feel like it's accelerating as hard! lol
The gusts from the side are the worst. I'd say 15mph winds are what I'd consider fairly windy. I don't know if I'd like riding with 40mph gusts lol

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
my only issue now is getting the bike to and from the track without paying an outlandish amount of money. Anyone know of a service or truck rental company that doesn't charge mileage?
Do you have a vehicle with a hitch? If you do, getting a motorcycle trailer from U-haul is the cheapest option. They run for like $25/day here. If you don't, then you may have to spend quite a bit more. How far are you from the track you'll be going to? If this is something you know you'll do more of, a good option is to put a hitch on your vehicle, whatever it may be, and then buy a small cheap trailer....but didn't you say you'll be moving to the VI in the near future?

The gusts from the side are the worst. I'd say 15mph winds are what I'd consider fairly windy. I don't know if I'd like riding with 40mph gusts lol
Bah! See, your weather is great, and you can ride all year round. Quit complaining! :p...and if it rains...well, that's why they make rain tires for! ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I started out with borrowing a friends 4x6 utility trailer. I only used it twice and then bought a 5x8 v-nose enclosed trailer to use as a transporter as well as a camper (cot, sleeping bag, jug to piss in). As I stated earlier, be prepared to spend all most of your disposable income, it happens fast once you get the bug!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Just remember- how much money you spend doesnt equate to how fast you are. I know some very fast guys that are on budgets

Enjoy your day, hydrate yourself, eat enough calories, and learn
Yep! And I know some guys that have put close to $30k into just the bike, and way more into trailer, camper, and all sorts of other things and are still in novice group. Nothing wrong with that though, in the end it's all about having fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep! And I know some guys that have put close to $30k into just the bike, and way more into trailer, camper, and all sorts of other things and are still in novice group. Nothing wrong with that though, in the end it's all about having fun.
Amen to that! For me it's all about having fun. I don't focus on lap times or worry about how fast I am, it's just straight up fun for me. I love going to tracks I haven't been to and meeting people I haven't met yet and enjoying the whole experience of what track day riding is together. We're the few of motorcycle enthusiasts who take it to the next level no matter what group you ride in. I'm proud to be a track day junkie!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you have a vehicle with a hitch? If you do, getting a motorcycle trailer from U-haul is the cheapest option. They run for like $25/day here. If you don't, then you may have to spend quite a bit more. How far are you from the track you'll be going to? If this is something you know you'll do more of, a good option is to put a hitch on your vehicle, whatever it may be, and then buy a small cheap trailer....

This is exactly what I did when I started doing track days a few years ago. I had a hitch installed and rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for the first several track days. After I was sure that I was indeed 'addicted' I then purchased a small 6x10 landscaping trailer, added some hardware for my Baxley Sport Chocks, and have completed dozens of track days since.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Q3's

So I finally went out and got myself some nice tires. I was running Conti Motion ST tires since i've had the bike and while they have a long life span, they aren't very confidence inspiring. The Q3's feel incredibly stricky, even to the touch. Can't wait to test them out. The first thing I noticed was how tall the profile of the tire is and how quickly they want to drop in; a little startling at first.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

Got the wheel chock and some tie downs from harbor frieght (I love that store).I also decided it'd be nice to record myself riding during the track day and on some of the canyon rides near my house. I don't have a GoPro (or the money for it) so I bought the GoPro mounts, bored out plastic holes, fit a 1/4" screw and attached my old digital Nikon S3100. It shakes a lot when it's mounted to the bike so I'm trying to find a way to cure that, but when it's mounted to the helmet it works perfectly, I just don't know the rules behind being able to record and the allowed mounting points.

Automotive tire Tire Hand Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I run my Q3's with a hot pressure of 30/30. They love it.
Today track was a little cooler, so I went 28/28 hot. Seemed perfect

I have 4 days on them now, and need to have the rear flipped. My home track is a LIT of rights, and the tire shows it. Maybe 2 more days left in them.

You will love them

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I run my Q3's with a hot pressure of 30/30. They love it.
Today track was a little cooler, so I went 28/28 hot. Seemed perfect

I have 4 days on them now, and need to have the rear flipped. My home track is a LIT of rights, and the tire shows it. Maybe 2 more days left in them.

You will love them
I'm stoked dude! 4 days left and I'm counting down the hours. My ride back from the shop I could feel the tires want to turn. The Conti Motions I had were pretty hard to turn and didn't feel real grippy. They're not Pirellis, but they'll be more than I need for my pace. Gonna get them all scrubbed in by Friday.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.