Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I may be applying chain lube either too liberally or I've got the wrong type. After each ride I have a few flicks of grease on the underside of the bike and back of my pants. can this be avoided? I use Motul chain lube every second or third time I go for a ride. Should I use less? I apply a spray to one area then move the bike back a metre do the same then move it back a metre and apply again. Only noticed this happening after I started applying the chain lube myself which I was recommended by the place I bought the bike.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You may be over doing it. I use shell white colour chain lube in the spray can.
It can depend on what brand you use as some brands of lube "flings" more than others.
I keep an eye on the chain and when it looks like the lube is starting to dry out a bit I lube.
After applying lube for the first ride it does make a small mess as you describe but I don't worry about it too much. Better to not let the chain dry out.
Really you are only oiling the chain rollers, and sprocket as the chain is a O-ring so the chain bushes and pins are lubed for the life of it. Not forever just the life of the chain.
Chain oil from a bottle applied direct to the chain seems to be worse. I do the Husky dirt bike this way and it makes a mess but so does ridding through the mud and dirt in the bush so it's the least of my worries.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I lube my chain about every 500 klms or so and usually on a paddock stand with a piece of cadboard behind the chain, so no lube gets on the rim/tyre.

Just lube the rollers and then wipe the excess off with a rag.

I use Bel Ray Blue Tac aerosol. Usually minimal flick on the first run and all good after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Think I may be applying chain lube either too liberally or I've got the wrong type. After each ride I have a few flicks of grease on the underside of the bike and back of my pants. can this be avoided? I use Motul chain lube every second or third time I go for a ride. Should I use less? I apply a spray to one area then move the bike back a metre do the same then move it back a metre and apply again. Only noticed this happening after I started applying the chain lube myself which I was recommended by the place I bought the bike.
nice tricolore, btw.

i clean my chain, then lube it, then wipe it off the outside....

no fling

·
Registered
121 Posts
Shrek
I think we might be kindred spirits.
My thoughts exactly. On stand, gear off, lube chain, beer open, make sexy time with wife. Life is good

Every man should have a table and chairs in his garage/ man cave.
Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.