Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just purchased my Ducati about a week ago and i just realized for the past 2 -3 days there has been some oil leaking out on the side. Its tiny droplets at the moment but I am afraid this could bite me in the near future. Any help would be appreciated :(

2008 Ducati 848
5400 Miles
https://www.dropbox.com/s/255g1qccd...ww.dropbox.com/s/5f4xh2url4snl8u/IMG_3347.JPG

·
Court Jester
11,918 Posts
taste it, if its sweet it's coolant (DON'T SWALLOW)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks like the radiator is leaking, dip your finger in a TINY amount and taste to see if its sweet. I would also look around the radiator for cracks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
There's some greenish fluid on the ground in the second picture... Unfortunately, it looks like you are now experiencing the infamous radiator leak from it's upper left mount. This is a very common problem among these motorbikes and there is a heap of information on the subject. No need to taste it; since you're going to need to anyways, just take your left fairing off and see what's going on. You should be able to - given that you are the original owner - get Ducati to good faith warranty it for you.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yikes...that's the coolant..
Just smell it and it should be a sweet-fruity smell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I just ran to my bike during lunch and it is indeed coolant :(

Ive only had the bike for a week :(

thank you for all the quick replies. Great forum!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The Dealer should be able to replace it with the improved unit.
If you don't mind the wait. (mine leaked twice and after 6 months of total wait I finally had an improved rad.
Or you can just take it off and bring it to a metal welder and weld an extra bracket on the left on top of the cracked piece.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update : Ducati has declined the repair. I have had the bike for just under a week :/

I have also email Ducati north america, but I am really disappointed that they have not held themselves responsible for a part that was defective from the beginning :(

I hope this is not my First & last Ducati Purchase

·
Court Jester
11,918 Posts
Update : Ducati has declined the repair. I have had the bike for just under a week :/

I have also email Ducati north america, but I am really disappointed that they have not held themselves responsible for a part that was defective from the beginning :(

I hope this is not my First & last Ducati Purchase

I wouldn't expect any factory to warranty something that is out of warranty from someone who did not purchase from them.

If you have purchased the bike new and had it since 2008 then I would expect some loyality.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bite the bullet, fix the radiator and move on to enjoy the bike, there is no reason to make a big deal out of something small, you knew you were buying a out of warranty used vehicle and the minute you jumped on the bike and drove out the door of whoever you bought it, that was it!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just take it to a dealer and see if they'll take care of it. I took mine to a dealer that I didn't buy the bike from and they didn't hesitate to fix it. Granted I did pay the labor. $230

1 - 14 of 14 Posts