Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've seen lots of reviews on the 821 and one of the complaints is that there is no room for your feet if you place your feet on the pegs using the balls of your feet.

Can anyone confirm this ? How much of an issue is it ? Anyone know if another exhaust would fix this ?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's a fair attempt, but ya, I'm not entirely sure that's going to make a difference.

I was at the local Ducati dealer and I sat on an 821 and sure enough, my heels won't fit with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

Really disappointing and a deal breaker for me. I really wanted this bike too. Hopefully Ducati will address this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
821 Monster right peg issue

i wonder if after installing an aftermarket Termignoni exhaust will solve this heel hitting porblem? it seems that the heat shield on the huge stock pipe shield is whats causing the tight fit. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Termignoni slip on.

i also notice that the Termi slip on has a smaller heat shield?!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe.. Not sure.

Let's look at a few things:

1) This is stock

See where the arrow is ? That's where my heels get stuck.

2) This is with the Termi (as posted by Bobbyzn)

And this is the EVO 1100.. Notice the huge amount of free space for the feet compared to the 821:

I think maybe the Termi would help, but since the real issue is the piece that holds the pillion pegs, not sure. Plus, that's an expensive fix. ;-)

In the 1100 EVO the pillion pegs support came from above.. In the 821 (and 1200 I believe) the pegs are mounted to the side of the frame. I think it's a unfortunate design that was carried over from the 1200.

The 796 didn't have this issue for me when I sat on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What's feet size are you Shampoo? I am a size 9.5 and I had sat on the 821 as well, but only notice that my heel rubs on the heat shield of the stock exhaust if I were to have the ball of my feet on the right peg.
I do agree with you on the bad design on this peg location. Maybe the Italian tech who design this has SMALL feet, like size 6 or something!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am the same as you maybe a half size larger. I'm a 42-43 with Italian shoes (Sidi, etc). I actually went to the dealer to just see if my feet would fit and I definitely remember my heal touching the metal that holds the pillion pegs. Maybe the heat shield was pushing it up ?

I know that OrcaGT on YouTube was saying his feet got very hot because they were up against the heat shield. Basically, the bike is to be ridden on the arches of your feet or, you need tiny little feet.

Oh well, I don't think there's a solution to this so a Ducati is going to have to wait for another model that allows me to put the balls of my feet on the pegs !

J

·
Registered
41 Posts
Haven't rode the bike yet. Doing the walk through at the dealer tonight I noticed that my size 10.5 US feet in hiking boots hit right where shampoo's great post indicates. Considering that I will be riding on my toes a lot, I found it strange at first. However I think you would need a larger size before it actually splays you toes out. I may try a little longer peg or the spacer system used on Streetfighters in the future but really don't think it will be a problem. I'm sure there will be a fix by the ingenious Ducati reverse engineering crowd before long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just posted the same issue in a different thread. I'm 6'1 and have 11.5 feet and there is no way in hell I can get the balls of my feet on the right peg without it kicking my heel out to an uncomfortable degree. The heel of my boot also kept getting hung up on the passenger mount just above the exhaust. That broke the deal for me....now I'm looking at a 2014 796 the dealer has with 0 miles and termi exhaust installed...man that that bike sound sweet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think it matters which exhaust you put on the bike. Until that peg hanger moves, you are going to have to adapt. I think once we start riding a lot this spring 821 owners will find simple solutions.
I ride on my toes a lot. Just habit. And survival. Most maneuvers made to avoid the charging SUV or Cell Phone Zombie were mostly instinctive and required body position and arm input. The feet sort of followed. Now if you look to perfect your track day form, there may be better options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm with you Brooksie...I always tend to ride on the balls of my feet and would love to hear some first hand feedback from folks once they've spent some time in the saddle...with regards to both heat and foot placement.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm with you Brooksie...I always tend to ride on the balls of my feet and would love to hear some first hand feedback from folks once they've spent some time in the saddle...with regards to both heat and foot placement.
I just got mine a couple weeks ago and had a nice day where i put 200+ miles on it. heat is not a problem, it was only about 70 degrees while i was riding, even in traffic i didn't feel uncomfortable. odd thing is, wearing jeans, i noticed more heat from the left side than the exhaust side. Still it is not uncomfortable with only jeans on. as for the footing debate i have heard a lot about i wear a 44 shoe and can just feel the mount where the back pegs attach to the frame on my heels. so no problem with it, I don't ride like that often so maybe someone who does would have more to say about it.
the bike feels great when riding and my only complaint is how much shit it slings up when riding in the rain. i ride everyday and its been rainy the last couple weeks every day i have to clean off my bag and hose of the back of the bike when i get home from work. i even had shit on top of my helmet once, I was riding after the rain had finished but the roads were still good and wet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 821 the first day it was available in Aug 2014. While the foot position was awkward at first, I figured it was something I would get used to. Several months later, it is really bothering me more and more.

I have a size 11 shoe and if I ride on the balls of my feet my ankle needs to rest against the top of the exhaust. There is little traction and eventually my foot slides and rests on the side of the exhaust putting a lot of pressure my knee. On longer rides, I'm getting knee pain. To adjust, I've tried positioning my foot further down the peg, however I need to consciously flex my foot up so that I do not ride the brake. After 45 minutes or so this causes a lot of ankle pain.

Hoping someone finds a solution soon otherwise I'll likely sell my bike and look for something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't find Ducabike rearsets for the new Monster. Got a link ?

J
That's big money though.
Ducabike rearsets = problem solved
BellissiMoto - DucaBike Rearsets for Monster 1200

Here are the rearsets - looks like a promising fix.

I'm looking into buying a Monster 821, but like many others the foot clearance is a dealbreaker because I ride on my toes. (i'm 5'5", size 7 US boot).

If these rearsets solve it, then I am one big step closer to making a buying decision! Could anyone confirm?

Would it also help to buy the termis?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts