Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm sure you've all noticed this - particularly those of you that are from damper pastures, but the standard footpegs are very slippery when wet.

I've found my foot slipping off the pegs during direction changes etc...

I can't stretch out to replacement rearsets as that would appear on the wife's radar. Baby on the way as well, so I should be lucky the bike is staying I suppose!

So footpegs - I've never found the need with any of my other bikes so I don't know what to look out for.

I'm looking at either the Rizoma or Puig ones - mostly because I don't want to put cheap parts on an expensive bike.

I don't know if I'd need the eccentric height adjustable mounts as I'm happy with the height of them at the moment - I've never ground a footpeg just my boots (a lot).

Does anyone have any experience with different footpegs?

What am I paying extra for?
Is it the fit of the footpeg, the material or just the name?

Am I better off with a chinese footpeg?

Thanks,

Neil

Reactions: xSnakeDoctor

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd recommend against any chinese parts. This is anecdotal but I've seen their various parts for a Honda CBR 250R (levers, rearsets, etc) and there's way too much modification required for my liking to feel comfortable putting it on a bike like the M821. I'm sure there are plenty of others with stories who have had success with no modifications to these parts but the fit, finish and overall quality is enough to turn me away.

Don't get me wrong either, I've had chinese levers on a 2012 R6 and they fit perfectly. I think it's because someone was working directly with a manufacturer in China to make sure the fit was 100% spot on.

Rizoma makes some decently priced footpegs for the M821 that look very grippy --

https://www.motovationusa.com/rizoma-b-pro-round-racing-footpegs-pe630.html

I believe they also make a touring peg. They look great and seem far more functional than the rubber padded one.

https://www.motovationusa.com/rizom....html?mmyId=63596&mmy=Ducati-Monster-821-2016

What are you paying for?

Quality, precise machining specification to your bike (or similar bikes) and the customer support provided by Rizoma (should you go this route). My local Rizoma office in Santa Monica always picks up to a live person. I've called them so much I'm pretty sure they know me by name/number. I don't know if you have a local Rizoma office but they are awesome at helping you find the right part and an authorized dealer that may be nearby. I realize I'm pretty lucky as I live in Southern California where there's a large Ducati market.

I just realized I sound like a Rizoma shill. They make really nice stuff. They're not the only ones in the game, obviously but for the quality, it's a pretty good price. I believe Oberon might make something as well.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hi all,

I'm sure you've all noticed this - particularly those of you that are from damper pastures, but the standard footpegs are very slippery when wet.

I've found my foot slipping off the pegs during direction changes etc...

I can't stretch out to replacement rearsets as that would appear on the wife's radar. Baby on the way as well, so I should be lucky the bike is staying I suppose!

So footpegs - I've never found the need with any of my other bikes so I don't know what to look out for.

I'm looking at either the Rizoma or Puig ones - mostly because I don't want to put cheap parts on an expensive bike.

I don't know if I'd need the eccentric height adjustable mounts as I'm happy with the height of them at the moment - I've never ground a footpeg just my boots (a lot).

Does anyone have any experience with different footpegs?

What am I paying extra for?
Is it the fit of the footpeg, the material or just the name?

Am I better off with a chinese footpeg?

Thanks,

Neil
I just bought the Rizoma rearsets and all I can say is PERFECT.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been looking at footpeg options myself, and also want quality. I've pretty much narrowed it down to CNC Racing or Ducabike. For my specific wants, it will probably be the Ducabike.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s what I did. Use a Dremel and a cut-off wheel tool to cut slots into the stock Ducati foot pegs. Leave the edges sharp.
The problem with the monster 821 foot pegs is that they have a smooth rubber insert which is grippy when dry but like teflon when wet.

It can be nice and dry out side but if you step in a puddle at lights or something your foot just slips off the pegs!

Neil

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd recommend against any chinese parts. This is anecdotal but I've seen their various parts for a Honda CBR 250R (levers, rearsets, etc) and there's way too much modification required for my liking to feel comfortable putting it on a bike like the M821. I'm sure there are plenty of others with stories who have had success with no modifications to these parts but the fit, finish and overall quality is enough to turn me away.

Don't get me wrong either, I've had chinese levers on a 2012 R6 and they fit perfectly. I think it's because someone was working directly with a manufacturer in China to make sure the fit was 100% spot on.

Rizoma makes some decently priced footpegs for the M821 that look very grippy --

https://www.motovationusa.com/rizoma-b-pro-round-racing-footpegs-pe630.html

I believe they also make a touring peg. They look great and seem far more functional than the rubber padded one.

https://www.motovationusa.com/rizom....html?mmyId=63596&mmy=Ducati-Monster-821-2016

What are you paying for?

Quality, precise machining specification to your bike (or similar bikes) and the customer support provided by Rizoma (should you go this route). My local Rizoma office in Santa Monica always picks up to a live person. I've called them so much I'm pretty sure they know me by name/number. I don't know if you have a local Rizoma office but they are awesome at helping you find the right part and an authorized dealer that may be nearby. I realize I'm pretty lucky as I live in Southern California where there's a large Ducati market.

I just realized I sound like a Rizoma shill. They make really nice stuff. They're not the only ones in the game, obviously but for the quality, it's a pretty good price. I believe Oberon might make something as well.
Thanks for your help.

I've looked at the online brochure and decided that I need PE716B and I like the look of the PE614B peg. For me it would cost around £60 for this Rizoma combination.

The Puig option would cost £52.

So there's not a lot in it.

I'm drawn towards the Rizoma as they have loads of different pegs to fit the same adaptor. So I could buy new pegs if I need to and I've already got some Rizoma stuff and the quality is top notch.

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally after a bit of a wait my new Rizoma Pro footpegs turned up.

I went for the silver peg and the mount is black.

These are top quality pegs and fitting was a breeze. The mount part has the correct notch to accommodate the spring and it all fitted perfectly.

I've tested them getting to work on a foggy morning and they provide so much more grip.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

Attachments

Reactions: wolfpack65

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installed my Rizoma adjustable peg adapters and pegs today. Top knotch quality and fitment. Kinda disappointed they didn't resolve my foot clearance issue though. Oh well, I guess I will be purchasing those Gecko racing rearsets over the winter!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I went for the Rizoma Pros with the adjustable mount because.. well, we don't all have $1000 U.S. to spend on 'rearsets'...and honestly, not only are they much better with grip.. the adjustments make them much more comfortable for long rides.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Installed my Rizoma adjustable peg adapters and pegs today. Top knotch quality and fitment. Kinda disappointed they didn't resolve my foot clearance issue though. Oh well, I guess I will be purchasing those Gecko racing rearsets over the winter!!
The Gecko racing rearsets are great! but remember they are RACING REARSETS. I have them on the lowest setting and the seat to peg height is closer to a 959.

But! you can get rid of those chicken strips without scraping the pegs! my toe still hits the ground just before my knee does though.

I like them. I thought it was a good purchase and from what I hear from passengers, the rear pegs are a good position too. Having the ability to take off the passenger sets is pretty great for riding. Only downside is its ripped up the inside heel on most of my shoes. But I'm sure there's a quick fix for that.

Also I'm 6 foot so that may be why I'm cramped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Gecko racing rearsets are great! but remember they are RACING REARSETS. I have them on the lowest setting and the seat to peg height is closer to a 959.

But! you can get rid of those chicken strips without scraping the pegs! my toe still hits the ground just before my knee does though.

I like them. I thought it was a good purchase and from what I hear from passengers, the rear pegs are a good position too. Having the ability to take off the passenger sets is pretty great for riding. Only downside is its ripped up the inside heel on most of my shoes. But I'm sure there's a quick fix for that.

Also I'm 6 foot so that may be why I'm cramped.
Is there any way you can put some type of eccentric peg adjustment on the Gecko's? Really for me it's the cramped foot position of the oem rearsets that bothers me more than leg room. I'm size 11 shoes and need to have my feet in pigeon toe position to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs like I prefer. I see from pic's the Gecko's don't seem to have the same heel clearance issue as oem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is there any way you can put some type of eccentric peg adjustment on the Gecko's? Really for me it's the cramped foot position of the oem rearsets that bothers me more than leg room. I'm size 11 shoes and need to have my feet in pigeon toe position to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs like I prefer. I see from pic's the Gecko's don't seem to have the same heel clearance issue as oem.
There's no heel clearance issue for the Gecko Rearset. Especially if you take off the passenger pegs, there is literally nothing for your foot to get hung up on except the Exhaust, but it's more of your foot resting on it rather than getting in the way. I wear a size 11-11.5 and the only time I come in contact with the exhaust is on the track when I'm in a full tuck fighting the wind.

These things are set up like real rearsets in the sense that they don't fold up like the OEM. I'm sure you could put the eccentric footpeg on them, but I just have the stock ones.

If you go with the Gecko Rearsets, you will no longer be riding pigeon toed. That issue is gone with the OEM rearsets.

The only issue I've had is on trackdays I feel like the pegs are a little small and I'm constantly readjusting my (mainly left) foot to keep it from finding the absolute edge of the peg. But looking at the Rizoma offerings, I think the size is pretty standard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts