Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone! Thanks for stopping by. Refreshments are in a fridge near you, so please, help yourself.

I'm going to get straight to the point. A real stand up citizen and my 848 met, and one ended up on the ground. Sadly, I couldn't respond with belt feed happiness and joy.

Fortunately the bike didn't sustain much, and I was able to simply loosen the clamp bolt for the handle bar to aline it back to rights.

But there are two other minor things that I'm hoping the community at large can help me with.

The upper fairing stay, the right side, between the mirror posts, broke.
Now the mirrors shake so bad anyways I didn't loose anything of riding value, as I can't see in them anyways. Now I could buy Carbon's stay and replace it. But the entire upper electronics have to come off and all that crap, and I'm just not in the mood nor have the tooling and the garage I need.
What I plan on, is drilling two holes into both the piece I have in my hand and the rest that's on the bike, inserting two pins, and JB welding the bastard back in place, getting it tight together, small clamp, let dry.
That should do the trick right?

Right??

The second issue I have is the right side peg. That little heroic thing saved the fairings, the tank, and the rear from being casualties as well, as it dug and stuck and stopped the bike.
But with all heroic actions, there was a cost.
The peg and it's mount as far as I can see aren't bent....but where the bolts go in to the frame mount, those tabs welded on the frame, are.
It's not much, but it's enough. If one is looking down from the tank it's obvious and when I ride, my right side footing feels off.

I have a feeling that has to go to the shop to see if they can ease them back into position, unless someone here has a brilliant and awesome way to correct that issue.

Advice welcome.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
The bent frame tabs is a pretty common issue when you drop a bike and the peg doesn't brake off. Unfortunately I just had that happened to me a few weeks ago as well. Haven't fixed it yet, but the usual fix for that problem involves cutting the tabs off, grinding the area so it's fairly smooth, then welding on aftermarket tabs (Speedymoto makes some, possibly other manufacturers as well). Cheap fix as far as materials go, because those aftermarket tabs are under $100 if I remember well, but very labor-intensive....which is why I haven't fixed mine yet. Still waiting to get my replacement rear set parts back so I can put them on and then I'll decide if they're bent bad enough that I have to fix it or if it will be ok for the time being.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Just bend them back to the correct position. They are like butter. Mine have been realigned for years, no problem. If they are cracked or broken they can be welded, or like you say can be replaced. I think it is good they bend, takes out the crash energy so the frame stays straight, which, of course is the most important issue. I used an old Michelin tire tool to slowly leverage mine back to their correct position. Easy fix.

Reactions: Warp Racer

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Just bend them back to the correct position. They are like butter. Mine have been realigned for years, no problem. If they are cracked or broken they can be welded, or like you say can be replaced. I think it is good they bend, takes out the crash energy so the frame stays straight, which, of course is the most important issue. I used an old Michelin tire tool to slowly leverage mine back to their correct position. Easy fix.
Hmm...I'll have to try that then. I didn't think they could be bent back because of the welds, which are typically pretty brittle.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
They seem to bend on the tab material, which is kinda a stamped design, made to be the weak link, very thin wall material. Ducati could have designed/made them stout-er, I think they are lighter for good reason.

Reactions: Warp Racer

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Additionally, they do get weaker, depending on the severity and frequency of the crashing, I think my right side tabs have been bent back three or four times!! The left seems to have very little to protect/absorb the impact. The right is pretty well protected by the big rear brake pedal being pushed back on the clutch cover, and the rear set foot rest gets pushed back against the exhaust header, so alot help on the right side. The left, not so much, I have added a water pump housing protector so the left side has something to slid on, other than the clip-ons and clutch lever. The QS gear lever has also been "realigned", a couple of times!!!

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
A new upper fairing stay isn't that cheap either. A new one is around $200,-
Anyhow if you thinks it's to much work, go for it.

Mine once broke at the same place and I used two component metal glue to fix it. Replaced the fairing in the off season.
Yep, mine had been JB welded numerous times, but it is a "snap" break, so I went to a fairing stay that can be bent back into position. Motoholders, I think. Bend back stuff is better than break stuff, in the log run.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Hmm...I'll have to try that then. I didn't think they could be bent back because of the welds, which are typically pretty brittle.
They are very brittle, but can be bent back no problem.

When you crash slowly, they tend to bend. If you crash fast, they tend not to unless you hit something… you can ask how I know this. LOL ;)

If ever on the fence, just heat them up a bit before bending back.

I use to take a long breaker bar, put it on the peg and slowly yank on it. :D

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Yeah at faster crashes the foot pegs typically break (if they're aftermarket). Most of the aftermarket ones I've seen are designed to break on impact at the base of the peg, that way you can just get those replaced cheaper than replacing the entire rear set assembly or welding on new tabs. But in the case of a drop like mine, at 0 mph, the foot peg won't break and all that energy gets transferred through it to the frame tabs.

I will try to bend mine back.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
No problem Rub, they are very soft and easy pressure moves them right back. Take your time with constant pressure, they are not brittle.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
BTW, Rub, did your bike fall over in the garage, while balanced on a front triple stand???

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
BTW, Rub, did your bike fall over in the garage, while balanced on a front triple stand???
No, a friend leaned it against the wall in the driveway when we unloaded all the bikes and other shit. I was getting other stuff from the truck so I didn't have the rear stand ready. It was really odd because it sat there resting on the wall for well over 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it fell over. Nobody around bumped into it so not sure what happened.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
They know when you are not paying attention. Kinda sneaky!! Been there,............

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So drill pressed the broken end off and hand drilled the fairing stay, got the JB weld and a large paper clamp to use, cutting the wire to make pins with. Have pliers to cut with and will attempt repair in the morning.

But I'm still not happy that the mirrors shake so bad so I'm going to look for alternatives.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have a new fairing stay for sale in the for sale section if that helps any, tabs can be easily bent as well for rearsets

-Carbon

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So news on the peg.

It is not bent, the tabs are not bent either. The bolt is good.

The top bolt pulled the threads inside the tab. That's why it's 'bent'

And so ends my bad day.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
You should be able to Helicoil that thread. Otherwise you'll need to weld in a new thread, which will burn the paint..

1 - 20 of 38 Posts