Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order a rear to match the front Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP (V2). Are you guys running the 190 or 200 rear ?
I know some tires run very tall (Dunlop) and there can be some clearance issues and geometry changing effects of which I would like to limit...
Wilkson, Fogs, Pipi, anybody ?...Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
If on the road only the 200 feels too slow to both warm up and also slow to turn to drop in to corners.
190 is nicer on roads and warms up quicker without tyre warmers etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you're going to use it on the track and are a serious weapon on the machine, then perhaps a 190 is better.. That said, if you're that good, I'm sure you can adjust the rake/trail to steer as you wish and then enjoy the benefits of the 200 sides...

Personally, I have a set of new wheels on the way and will be putting 200's on - either Supercorsa SP's or the Dunlop GP Pro's (whatever I can get my hands on).

Not sure about mixing front a rear's, always gone for same make on front/rear.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I run 200/55 Ntec slicks on the track and 190/55 Q3's on the street.

When I first put on a 17" on my street bike I tried a 190/60 and did not like it. The switch to the 190/55 was a big improvement. But I did go from a GPA 211 to the Q3 so that could have been part of the improvement- but I still feel that the 190/55 works well on the street.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tire sizes printed on the side are nominal. For example, here are three specifications for some tires being discussed here:

Pirelli Supercorsa 190/55 - 191mm wide, 652mm diameter
Pirelli Supercorsa 200/55 - 195mm wide, 656mm diameter
Dunlop Q3 190/55 - 193.5mm wide, 650mm diameter

The Q3 is a "wide" 190 while the Supercorsa is a "narrow" 200. Note the 190 Q3 isn't as tall a 190 Supercorsa.

In addition, how a tire feels also depends upon the tire profile, carcass construction and suspension setup.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I run Pirelli Supercorsa 190/55 and 120/70 on the street.

I've been using these since I added softer springs front and rear (ride is still pretty harsh but now more compliant) a few years back and had the bike's geometry adjusted to suit the arrangement. So not keen to tweak the setting again by using a 200 and I don't track the bike very often.

The nearest decent track (Sepang) is 200 miles to the north.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run 200/55 Ntec slicks on the track and 190/55 Q3's on the street.

When I first put on a 17" on my street bike I tried a 190/60 and did not like it. The switch to the 190/55 was a big improvement. But I did go from a GPA 211 to the Q3 so that could have been part of the improvement- but I still feel that the 190/55 works well on the street.

I have BST 17s fited, with Metzler racetec 190/55, bike understeers (brakesteers) in current set up, so may be to tall in rear ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have BST 17s fited, with Metzler racetec 190/55, bike understeers (brakesteers) in current set up, so may be to tall in rear ?
If you have not changed the rear height when you went to the 190/55 you should still be close to the factory set up with the OEM rim/tire.

To be clear- are you saying that you feel you need to trail brake for the bike to turn in crisply- or are you saying when you trail brake the bike wants to go wide?

I found that the bike does respond crisper when you trail brake into sharp turns but I have never had it stand up or run wide while on the brakes when leaned over. Off the brakes when picking the bike up with throttle the bike can be sensitive to rear ride height and not keep the line- but I do not think you are saying that.

At what speeds does this happen?

Did it feel this way with the stock tires?

Since I am not clear what you are describing I will give you my general thoughts.

I found that tires, speed, and riding position make a big difference in turn-in on this bike on the street and on the track. The stock set up felt very numb to especially at lower street speeds. I went through two different sets of 17" tires before I found what felt good on the street. On the track I only use Ntec slicks. I had to play with the set up on both bikes to get what I wanted.

I played with a number of geometry setups especially for the track. In the end I went back to the original stock swing arm adjusted height but with the taller Ntec so my rear height was higher then stock. Anything more radical in the rear or a drop in the front did not work for me- but it does for other track riders. Damping changes evolved as I rode faster and changed my riding style.

We all ride differently and my set-up may not work or feel good at all for you.

In the end the changes I made to my riding style made the biggest difference.

Also -----this bike handles much better on the track then at any speed on the street.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New found love !

Wow !
What a difference these tires make !
and finally, I have found a tire that makes the bike easy to 'flick' into corners, and turns-in as quick as I want now…
I might even go as far as to say, that the bike feels as nimble as a 600 now !

Love it, and with the combination of adding a new, STM FDU-S182 EVOLUZIONE RACING 125mm Slipper Clutch, with the 48 tooth plates and basket, what a huge improvement over that POS, poor excuse for a (OEM) slipper it comes with !

Guys, anybody with a stock set-up bike, forget it !
Do yourself a favor and go buy a 17 inch rear wheel, these tires (Perrelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP) and get rid of the stock slipper……
Buy far the best $3500 bucks you can spend !!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sedici,

I assume you went with the 190/55 SuperCorsa?

My BST wheels will be here soon so I can make half the upgrade!

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you have not changed the rear height when you went to the 190/55 you should still be close to the factory set up with the OEM rim/tire.

Yep, the bike is better on the side of its tyres and tracks well once cranked over, the main problem area is in the transition area of the turn in.
Bike also reacts poorly to bumps / undulations in road when cornering at part lean angle, which may or may not be related to the brake steer (but it could simply have to much or to little rear rebound)
It is a matter of trial an error, as always with suspension settings.
Bike doesnt feel 'taily' when hard on the brakes, so would be suprised if the rear is to tall, as that is usually a good indicator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts