Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like at the end of the season everyone is selling shit at good prices...which is not a good thing for my wallet. I tend to have a weakness for quality bike parts at low cost...much like drug addicts with whatever the hell they do :eek:

Anyway...I'm still on my stock showa suspensions on my 1198. Just bought an Ohlins TTX shock today from a guy I met at the track, and now a guy that I know is looking to upgrade his track bike so he's parting out his 1098S, and I was interested in getting the stock Ohlins forks.

My question is, what would be the better upgrade between the S model stock Ohlins forks vs putting Ohlins cartridges in my Showa forks? Not counting money into the equation, which would make the biggest difference? This is for a track/race bike, no street riding.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Put the cartridge in your forks

Reactions: 1fast750ss

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Care to elaborate on why you suggest that?

I realize this might be tough for most people to answer because most people who upgrade do one or the other, not both, so they probably don't really know the difference.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Hard to quantify the comparison between your Showas with the cartridge kits and a set of Ohlins with the kits.

I have the 25 mm kits in my Ohlins, and they made an improvement to them, but hard to justify the cost of the forks in your case, unless you can sell your old forks.

Remember that the forks have different diameters, and you may need yokes as well (53 mm at the lower yoke for the Showas as against 56 for the Ohlins).

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I also have a 25mm kit in my oem Ohlins forks, there were at least two kits,, the first had waaaay to much dive, under braking, the second, and latest was spot on, ie gr8!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well as far as cost goes I'm better off with the Ohlins. The guy I know is selling Ducshop 30 mm triples AND the 1098S stock Ohlins forks for $1100. I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal. If I was to go with Ohlins cartridges for my Showas, it'd be about $1200 just for that. Those are hard to find used because not many people sell them.

Reactions: 1fast750ss

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
The Ducshop triple and the Ohlins is pretty damn good, are the Ohlins oem internals? If so, get the r/t internals, either 30 mm or, if you can find, the latest 25 mm kit. Works like the Ohlins 219 or whatever they call it now.... You will be very happy!!!!

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest I'm not sure, I'll have to ask him. He just said they're the stock 1098S forks with UES valving...I'll be honest, I'm no expert in suspensions and Ohlins, so not sure what that means.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Well as far as cost goes I'm better off with the Ohlins. The guy I know is selling Ducshop 30 mm triples AND the 1098S stock Ohlins forks for $1100. I'm thinking that's a pretty good deal. If I was to go with Ohlins cartridges for my Showas, it'd be about $1200 just for that. Those are hard to find used because not many people sell them.
If the internals of the S forks have not been changed better allow for a kit for those .
The reason I suggested just putting a cartridge kit in the Showa forks .
The triples are a great upgrade to the 1098 .

Reactions: 1fast750ss and 219R

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So apparently he has a different valve kit in but he's not sure which one. It was done at least 3 years ago.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
So apparently he has a different valve kit in but he's not sure which one. It was done at least 3 years ago.
Sounds like a guess . Start from scratch set the suspension up for your self is the best bet .
You will be chasing your tail with a unknown.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Three years ago may have been the 25 mm kit. If you have the time send to Brad Stokes at Ohlins usa. He will set/service them in a proper spec.

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would definitely need to have them setup anyway, due to the springs. The guy weighs like 130 lb, which is WAY less than I weigh :eek:

The local master tech is also a certified Ohlins tech and has all the proper tools. I'm sure once he opens them up, he would know which kit it is.

However, I've told myself since last year that I'd like to learn how to do suspension work on my own. Do you guys think it's worth it? My understanding is that you need some special tools to be able to open up and close the Ohlins forks, and also a tool to compress the springs. Is that true? Do you guys think it'd be worth getting the tools and learning how to do it, vs having a pro do it? This is something that would be done only once every 2 years, maybe once a year at worst, so my gut feeling tells me it's not worth it, however, so far I've had bad experiences with people working on my suspensions.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I would get your suspension guy to do it . Try to work with someone who spends time at the track so you can work with them on set up. . You will get the best out of your suspension .

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I do lots of stuff on my race bikes. But I always farm out the internal tuning on my forks and shock. Brad is the best. Always at the track has all the current state of the art stuff and knows how to set it up. And he works for Ohlins..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts