Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm about to fit a new OEM tail-light on the Desmo -- the third one in 12 years of ownership. The two plastic mounting points break after a while due to heat from the muffler and vibration from bumps on the road.

I wouldn't mind so much but of course, being a Desmo part, the tail-light is ridiculously expensive (about US$390).

My question: Is there a solution that will prolong the life of the tail-light? Using rubber washers or some other idea?

Any tips much appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I wrapped safety wire around mine that I colored black with a Sharpie. When it broke, I didn't lose it. I Superglued it back together with baking soda on the filet. This trick is stronger than the original material. I rode the bike a total of just over 15,000 miles and it never broke again after I fixed it and safety wired it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Apollo. I'll try this solution. I was thinking of a way to hold the light securely should it break again. I'll repair the old one in the meantime with superglue to keep as a spare.

·
Registered
10' 1198R
11 Posts
I wrapped safety wire around mine that I colored black with a Sharpie. When it broke, I didn't lose it. I Superglued it back together with baking soda on the filet. This trick is stronger than the original material. I rode the bike a total of just over 15,000 miles and it never broke again after I fixed it and safety wired it.
View attachment 171833

View attachment 171834
How many KM's on the bike!! amazing to see that many mines on one of these bad boys!

·
Registered
453 Posts
It had about 15,250 miles (~24,540 km) or so on it when I traded it.
This was shot when after a few shakedown rides after I completed the 15,000 mile service (at exactly 15,000 miles).
Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge Odometer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts