Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but who makes a good set of frame sliders for the 1098 and do you have to cut to install?

Thanks.
Jason

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the non-drill ones safe or a gimick? That is a serious question BTW. On my Honda you had to cut through the fairings, there was no two ways about it. It's just the place where Honda had the frame mounts for them, anything else would probably do more damage than good in a cash.

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
There's no way the under-skin sliders are going to be as effective at preventing damage as through-the-fairing sliders in the event of a crash.

Most obviously, with under-skin sliders your fairings will take the brunt of any crash/fall damage -- no surprise there. But under-skin sliders also lack the stand-off height of through-the-fairing sliders so it's more likely that hard parts will make contact with foreign objects in a crash.

Without first-hand crash data from a 1098 with under-skin sliders, it's hard to anticipate how effective they will be at preventing damage to mechanicals. Even if this type of slider is known to work well on other bikes, the mount locations and relative differences in bike surface topology or dimension may be different enough to make such a comparison suspect if not outright useless. Mounting the actual kit and making your own guesses or estimates at how well it might work if the bike were actually in contact with the road is probably your best option. An extra $150 isn't that much to spend considering what's at risk.

That said, people drilling holes in their 1098 fairings will probably be few and far between. I had no problem cutting holes in my CBR600RR skin to install sliders, but I just don't see myself doing that with my 1098. The Honda is a machine -- an excellent machine at that -- but the 1098 is a work of art and it seems sacreligious to me to cut holes in the bodywork. ;)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet! Another happy 600RR owner!!

With my 600RR the very first mod I ever had done to the bike was Intuitive Frame Sliders. Before the did even left the dealer I had them installed and it has been the only mod that I had the dealer do since… I mean don’t get me wrong here, the dealer did a excellent job but for me it was the only job I did not feel comfortable doing myself. I looked at it like this, if the dealer screws it up, it’s on them to get me some new plastics.

I know what you are saying about a work of art but I can tell you this… I made the common mistake of having my kickstand up when taking the bike down from the rear stand once, over it went. If it wasn’t for my sliders, we are talking 10X more damage! Personally I don’t think sliders look that bad for the job that they do!

Jason

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anyone know where the mounting points for the 1098 are?

I'm trying to visualize what the bike will look like with sliders, since it will have a black knob sticking out of the red.

With the RC, you don't even notice the sliders.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Unfortunately, with Ducati superbikes, there's really no "nice way" to get frame sliders. The majority are drill through fairing type, but I have seen some that install as far back as to where the rearsets are, but once again look terrible. On some of the japanese machines that have two pc or split fairing designs, frame sliders seem to blend well, but I have yet to see a late model Ducati with frame sliders that actually looked good. Now one might argue, I would rather have the slight eye sore than to be out $$$$ in damages, but any way you look at it, once that bike goes down, no matter how minor, you're still going to be out some big $$$. Have you priced how much Ducati levers costs? Or mirrors, handlebars, gas tanks, rearsets, tails exhaust cans and so fourth. On avg, a driveway drop (bike not even moving) can set you back over a grand! Talk about OUCH!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Visitor Q said:
Sweet! Another happy 600RR owner!!

With my 600RR the very first mod I ever had done to the bike was Intuitive Frame Sliders. Before the did even left the dealer I had them installed and it has been the only mod that I had the dealer do since… I mean don’t get me wrong here, the dealer did a excellent job but for me it was the only job I did not feel comfortable doing myself. I looked at it like this, if the dealer screws it up, it’s on them to get me some new plastics.

I know what you are saying about a work of art but I can tell you this… I made the common mistake of having my kickstand up when taking the bike down from the rear stand once, over it went. If it wasn’t for my sliders, we are talking 10X more damage! Personally I don’t think sliders look that bad for the job that they do!

Jason
Oh, yah. I <3 my CBR. But I suspect I will love the 1098 lots more. :)

I'm in complete agreement about the value of sliders -- I had my installed at point of sale & didn't even want to ride it home without 'em on. Still, I'm blanching at the idea of cutting up the 1098 bodywork... what to do, what to do?

Those EmotoUK sliders that DucatiGuy posted a pic of look interesting -- perhaps a good compromise as it looks like the holes are small and concealed by the puck part of the slider.

·
Registered
337 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
Here's one from the good guys over at emoto in the UK.

That actually looks pretty clean.
I'd go for that one. Any chance someone State Side carries it?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm sure they'll get to the US in due time, but hey if you're woreid about ordering them from the UK, I can honestly say I've never had any problems with the guys over at emotouk. They're quick to answer e-mails awith questions you may have regarding the part or application. Granted they have the part in question in stock, it usually only takes anywhere from 4-7 days to get to the east coast via the USPS. I've actually waited a lot longer for some parts to arrive that were shipped within the US. Nevertheless, they have my seal of approval! Good guys, great parts, awesome service!

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personaly I think sliders are a must on any bike, the ones post don't look all that bad IMO.

Any others out there?

Jason

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've personally never used them. But that's just me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts