Ducati.org forum banner

Frame support

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  AlvarezN 
#1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on how to support a bike frame in order to remove rear shock? I am installing frame sliders on my 2021 Panigale V2 and it requires removing rear shock. Seen some ideas on google with folks using straps to hang bike from garage ceiling joists. Any ideas peeps?

#3 ·
No it can’t.

Use a long broom stick through the frame onto something like saw horses.. you’ll figure it out .

Personally I used ratchet tie downs over a beam in my shed.

#7 ·
No. In no case should you attempt to remove the rear shock only using the rear stand for support. Without the shock in there, the entire rear end will drop until it contacts the swingarm.

You have to support the rear in some other manner and get the weight off the shock. If you fail to do this, the resultant damage to your person and/or your Pani could be catastrophic.

#8 ·
Use the broomstick and maybe two ladders, step ladders or something.

Nor cal is absolutely correct and if you look at the bike you will see the spring on the shock is what sets the ride height. So you can’t support it underage swing arm when the shock and spring is keeping to body up off the road

#10 ·
Automotive fuel system Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank

This was after the engine went back in.. but the concept was the same. Swing arm and engine came out under the house using front stand and tie downs (ups). During the time the shed was built and lift arrived. So it was moved.
Yellow straps go to the roof beam. Front needs support or it walks around sand buckles under.

#13 ·
On an 848, I used a 1/2" steel rod through one of the frame holes. Bike was up on a rear stand. Set up two jackstands on identical stepstools adjusted about 1/2" below the rod. Then, carefully used the rear stand to set the rod down on the two jackstands. Worked great.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

More recently, on a 999, put a couple 6" bolts into holes in the bottom rear sides of the case which I think were originally in place for something else (maybe a center stand for other applications of that case). This is a Testastretta deep sump engine, but not Testa Evo). Then used rear stand to set the bolts down on jackstands sitting on floor. Then I could take off shock and swingarm.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Wood

r-

Tom C.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.