Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to someone's oil pan, which decided the oil would look much better on the road than in their engine, I have an assumed total loss from the insurance company on my 749s Biposto, which I had just finished putting together exactly how I wanted after bringing her back on the street.:mad:

I love the way the xx9 bikes look and I don't want to lose Bjanca due to the sentimental value of being my first superbike, first race bike, etc. There's a reason I sold the other two when I joined the Navy and fought to make her street legal again. With that being said I don't want to have just another xx9. There are some things I would like on that model like the dual exhaust and SSA, plus some more power.:blah: After talking with the guy doing my estimate he said a 1x98 motors should fit the mounts on the xx9 frame with a little bit of tweaking up top for the head. That would give me the power, SSA and exhaust I want but still preserve the awesome look of the xx9 (imho). I hate having to stare at oncoming traffic to see if it's a 1x98 or R1/ZX-10R/CBR.

Does anyone have any experience stuffing something like this together who would be willing to share some tips, tricks and things to look out for before I get started? I'm going to be doing this on an active duty E-4 paycheck so there's not a giant amount of cash to play with. And to let you know I have a decent amount of knowledge how these are put together, the 749s is my old race bike and I would tear it apart every weekend to put it back together. I don't have metal fab skills though, just minor fiberglassing. :stickpoke

p.s. And yes, this means there will be some xx9 parts for sale since I'll be getting rid of a lot of the bike so keep your eyes open in for sale/wanted in June probably but feel free to PM before for inquiries.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks to someone's oil pan, which decided the oil would look much better on the road than in their engine, I have an assumed total loss from the insurance company on my 749s Biposto, which I had just finished putting together exactly how I wanted after bringing her back on the street.:mad:

I love the way the xx9 bikes look and I don't want to lose Bjanca due to the sentimental value of being my first superbike, first race bike, etc. There's a reason I sold the other two when I joined the Navy and fought to make her street legal again. With that being said I don't want to have just another xx9. There are some things I would like on that model like the dual exhaust and SSA, plus some more power.:blah: After talking with the guy doing my estimate he said a 1x98 motors should fit the mounts on the xx9 frame with a little bit of tweaking up top for the head. That would give me the power, SSA and exhaust I want but still preserve the awesome look of the xx9 (imho). I hate having to stare at oncoming traffic to see if it's a 1x98 or R1/ZX-10R/CBR.

Does anyone have any experience stuffing something like this together who would be willing to share some tips, tricks and things to look out for before I get started? I'm going to be doing this on an active duty E-4 paycheck so there's how a giant amount of cash to play with. And to let you know I have a decent amount of knowledge how these are put together, the 749s is my old race bike and I would tear it apart every weekend to put it back together. I don't have metal fab skills though, just minor fiberglassing. :stickpoke

p.s. And yes, this means there will be some xx9 parts for sale since I'll be getting rid of a lot of the bike so keep your eyes open in for sale/wanted in June probably but feel free to PM before for inquiries.
Oh man, I am SO SORRY!

Are you OK?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, just a little road rash on my left knee. The major damage to the bike came from the curb the front rim hit, I went straight down the driveway. This is the road I live off of so it was just a normal 430am ride to work, no knee dragging craziness or anything. Thanks for asking though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY! I was gonna ask him if he was okay! But the guy before me beat me to it! It's always a good day when you walk away from an accident. Did you hit an oil slick or something?
Haha. Yea, that light strip in the picture is an oil spill that was called in by the Sheriff about an hour before I hit it. They were finally cleaning it up an hour and a half after I went down. It's hard to see oil at 430 in the morning.

You keeping that seat? Is that a Corbin?
No, the seat is just a vinyl cover by Luimoto. One of my favorite things on the bike actually. They're completely customizable; the rear is also by them with 9POINT5 embroidered into it. Oh, and you don't slide all over the place with these like the stockers. I'll see if I can get some better pictures but since it's a cover it's a lot cheaper than a Corbin or Sergeant and you can have as much or as little padding as you want. I'd recommend having someone put it on for you though.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Did you say e-4 and giant pay? lol sorry about the wreck I'm glad your ok. A 749 would be dope with a 1x98 motor for sure! I'd rock one, good luck with the build!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't be looking to sell, at least not any time soon. Only to get it back on the street. What are some of the difficulties in registering a rebuilt bike with a salvage title?

·
Banned
786 Posts
Salvage titles aren't that bad at all. There is barely a fee at the title agency compared to regular titles.

IF your insurance company totals the bike, you can buy it back and get a rebuilt salvage title for it, the process of getting it street legal is not hard, as all you have to do is take it to the state highway patrol and have them inspect it. Emissions, blinkers, horn, rear view mirrors, yada yada. They aren't mechanics.

I've owned 2 bikes with salvage titles, one being a 2001 ducati 900ss I purchased it for 3,000 because it had a salvage title, but had no problem selling it a year later for 4,000 with a salvage title. Some people will say that the salvage title will knock off 20-50% of your bikes initial worth, don't listen to em. You'll get shit for it, but if you explain the situation you should have no problem getting about what the bike is actually worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts