Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year free servicing and warranty period runs out at the end of Sept. I have my bike booked-in to JHP Ducati Coventry on the 8th and currently have 12,800 miles on the clock so am well on the way to get to 15,000 miles by then.

I guess it's been nearly five years or so since Ducati last had to pay for a customer's 15,000 mile service and provide any parts required under warranty. Having seen some of the horror stories from 2011/2012 about it taking months to complete, I hope mine goes smoothly!

I'll post up more details when I have them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dave,

Hope it all goes well on your big service at JHP....there top guys and I'm sure the bike will be running as good as ever once you ride out of the workshop.

Huge miles.....did you get lost on the M25 by any chance...!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've been using the Desmo exclusively. I figured the free servicing and warranty package gave me three years "free biking" so I took all but one of my other bikes off the road. After two years I'd done 7,000 miles and was planning a big year of riding in my third year. I could see myself easily doing 5,000 miles so I wondered about maybe doing 8,000 and cracking 15,000 miles this year so that Ducati would pay for the service. With a couple of trips to the Nurburgring and the Black Forest in Germany, the IOM TT, Scotland and regular long rides at the weekend and occasionally with work (in all weathers !) I'm still on track. I have one more trip to the Nurburgring at the end of August, and with a few weekend rides that should crack it :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Desmo...

I've been using the Desmo exclusively. I figured the free servicing and warranty package gave me three years "free biking" so I took all but one of my other bikes off the road. After two years I'd done 7,000 miles and was planning a big year of riding in my third year. I could see myself easily doing 5,000 miles so I wondered about maybe doing 8,000 and cracking 15,000 miles this year so that Ducati would pay for the service. With a couple of trips to the Nurburgring and the Black Forest in Germany, the IOM TT, Scotland and regular long rides at the weekend and occasionally with work (in all weathers !) I'm still on track. I have one more trip to the Nurburgring at the end of August, and with a few weekend rides that should crack it :)
Is the warranty package with Ducati, also whats the deal with the 15,000 mile free service is that part of your warranty package....?

Do you have a picture you can post of your bike....?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dave's warranty would be the standard Ducati factory warranty that applied to the D16RR: three years free servicing. The 15,000 mile service is a big one, so if you get your bike to that mileage inside the three years, Ducati will do the service at their cost. It would be interesting to hear from Dave what they find during that service.

There have been a few people that have got to the major service point inside the 3 years (that we have heard from here). Pierre Col was one; I think his bike needed a new crankshaft, which had to be made. His bike was stolen not long after the service/rebuild was finished.

RD16RR also had the big service done (inside the 3 years, I think) and gave a pretty good account of it; so did Pierre Col, if you want to go back thru these pages and search a bit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's right. Even though I bought my bike in 2012 it was brand new "old stock" from a Ducati dealer when I did. For that reason it came with the same 3 years warranty and free servicing package as all the bikes that were sold in 2008/9 when they first came out. The 15,000 mile service is indeed a big one - more than 20 hrs labour even if no problems are found. Every bike I know of that has been through it has needed new parts under warranty and has had to wait months for them.

Here's a picture of my bike on my camping trip to the IOM TT this year - hence the panniers and tail pack. To make it usable I made the following mods to it in my first year of ownership (it was already fitted with the GP07 system when I bought it):

- suspension set-up with softer springs front and rear
- fibreglass bodywork (I have an additional nose cone and tail piece for the track) and crash bungs
- hugger and 17" rear wheel (I went for BSTs front and rear)
- enlarged fuel tank (on the road I now get 80-100 miles before the fuel light comes on, depending on how I am riding it)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle fairing Motor vehicle

·
Registered
480 Posts
Absolutely brilliant. Never did I expect to see a Desmo with a fully loaded tail pack (and more) on it. No issues with the front-end being a bit light? I don't have a GP7 system, so can't add luggage, unless I want to set it on fire.
I love riding the Desmo on the highway. It eats up the miles (and fuel!) and has a wide spread of power from 6,000 rpm. Great move on the mods, too. Did most of those as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did alter the rear suspension the first time I loaded the bike up like this. The second time for various reasons I didn't have time, so I set off with it on my normal setting - and it was fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would guess so, and I suspect it is probably part of the service (it would seem appropriate at this mileage). I will ask.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dave....

Are you booked in yet for this.....

Quite an interesting thread, looking forward to hear which work gets completed.

I would defiantly press for the fork re gas.

Richard.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes - I'm booked-in for 8th Sept. I'm currently on 13,458 miles. I have a journey to Heathrow and back and a 4-day trip to Cochem and the Nurburgring before then so should comfortably be up to 15k

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nearly there ....

I'm at the Nurburgring with nearly 14,400 miles on the clock and a 550 miles ride home on Sunday. I'm at work on Monday and then it is up to JHP on Tuesday for the 15,000 miles service :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Btw, do you ride with the baffles in at all?
I enjoy the sound of my 'open' GP7 system makes, but I don't think I could live with myself inflicting it on everyone else on a daily basis.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Btw, do you ride with the baffles in at all?
I enjoy the sound of my 'open' GP7 system makes, but I don't think I could live with myself inflicting it on everyone else on a daily basis.
Chas----I ride with the baffles in only because with the stock ECU that came with my system I loose too much bottom end with them removed. It seems the ECU's are not all the same- most owner's have no issues with their baffles removed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Baffles out ... no question :)

14,490 miles clocked up and I'm off home on my own at 0900 tomorrow whilst my mates stay on an extra day to play on the Nurburgring. Sadly I have to get back for work.

550 miles + will be the longest ride I've done in one day on the Desmo ... pity my poor arse!

·
Registered
449 Posts
550 miles + will be the longest ride I've done in one day on the Desmo ... pity my poor arse!
WOW! You have my respect. 225 miles is my longest day on the Desmo. I've done several one thousand (plus) mile days on other bikes, but their range is more like 200 miles, not 75.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got home at about 7pm last night, with this showing on the odometer ...

... so it does look like Ducati will be picking up the bill for my 15,000 mile service :)

I'm taking the bike up to JHP in Coventry tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts