Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can someone give me advice on how to remove the front DES caps/adjusters??

I have managed to unscrew with a 32mm socket but can't figure out how to remove the adjuster part from the cartridges???

Reason I'm removing them is because I'm rebuilding my 1199s after a huge high side...I'll put up the pics in due course!!

Cheers

Mike.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am assuming you want to remove the fork caps?
If you are doing this on the bike, you need to loosen the upper triple clamp bolts that fold the forks, and the handle bar pinch bolt.
These bolts are strong enough to pinch and deform the fork if it is not capped. It is also why the fork cap shouldn't be tightened too much as it is partially held by these bolts. The fork tube is thin and soft!

Then you can undo the fork caps using special tools (circular, with four little pins). Dan Kyle has it for sale.
http://www.shop.kyleusa.com/product.sc?productId=682&categoryId=177
Just be careful, panigale 1199s fork is different from other ohlins fork, so make sure you get the right one because otherwise it won't fit.

Edit: oh hang on, I think I misunderstood your question. Do you want to remove DES adjuster from the fork caps? i don't know that, sorry. I assume they form one part and you need aftermarket caps to do this?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Which parts are you after ? I have some spare DES internals .

Take a pic of the damaged parts I can most likely sort you out .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope this helps if anyone ever needs to remove the adjuster caps...

With the forks out of the bike or being able to "slam" front end to fully compressed position. You need to first back all the preload out, after you disconnect the plug on the top of each side. At this point in time if you don't have the pin tool for the fork cap, you can very carefully use your 32 to loosen it. If the forks are in the bike make sure upper triple clamps bolts are loose. Once the cap is loose back it out, put the forks in the fully compressed position. Take your 32 on top of the cap and hold the jam nut below the cap with a 19mm wrench. Once off, the dampening rod is connected, it literally pulls out the bottom. Mark the caps, they are side specific. Rebound is the RH and Comp is the LH.

Cheers, Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts