Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up an 848 for my wife and have been checking everything out on it before I turn it over to her to drive. While taking it out on test runs I noticed the front end bouncing up and down a lot. I figured maybe the damping needed to be adjusting as maybe it was too soft. It was very soft but after stiffening up the suspension, not only did it not fix the issue, it made it more noticeable. The bike is a 2008 848 with only 875 miles but was a salvage title as it was laid down on the left side. All damage from the insurance company was listed as body work etc and nothing mechanical was damaged. My assessment is the front wheel is out of balance (still has the original tired from 2008 on them). I plan to change the tires and have the wheels rebalanced but I was curious as to what everyone else thinks about this? Is this likely a wheel balance issue or something more serious?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My guess is either your rebound is way off or you had a leaking fork seal and no more fluid in the forks. I would check your rebound settings first. To fast rebound will cause you to have a pogo feel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
already adjusted rebound and it did not fix anything. Actually made it more noticeable. I don't think it made it worse but stiffening the rebound made it more noticeable. reducing rebound doesn't fix the problem just makes it a little less pronounced.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im sure as I adjusted both. I did not notice any fluid but I will check again in the morning. Fluid leak is definitely possible. It is an old bike that hasn't seen a lot of road time or regular maintenance...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Agreed . Check the fork oil .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Instead of checking you might as well just do a full rebuild. If it has been sitting a while even if the seals are not leaking there is a very good chance they will start as soon as you start riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't had time to work on it. I plan to take it to the dealership in a few weeks when I have time. I think it is likely a fork oil issue, but I won't know for sure until I bring it in. I want to have a number of things looked at before I let my wife drive it around.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Haven't had time to work on it. I plan to take it to the dealership in a few weeks when I have time. I think it is likely a fork oil issue, but I won't know for sure until I bring it in. I want to have a number of things looked at before I let my wife drive it around.
So you have done fork oil then .:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
in case anyone comes by this thread and wonders what the issue was, it was a bent rear wheel. Had nothing to do with the front end. Rear wheel was bent in crash from previous owner but you honestly could not tell just by looking at it as there was no observable damage to the wheel.

·
Court Jester
11,543 Posts
in case anyone comes by this thread and wonders what the issue was, it was a bent rear wheel. Had nothing to do with the front end. Rear wheel was bent in crash from previous owner but you honestly could not tell just by looking at it as there was no observable damage to the wheel.
Wow thanks for the follow up! :)

That kind of makes sense, I just recently destroyed both the front and rear wheels without laying the bike down. I will keep an eye on the new/used replaced I have installed.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Good result but struggling to follow that a bent wheel on the back will make the front ‘bounce’

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Suspension black arts Shrek.

Sometimes a perceived problem at one end is actually because of something not balanced/right at the opposite end.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Yes learnt that with brakes in my 20’s.

But a bent wheel, in my head, would give a vibration or walking effect at the rear, can’t figure a front bounce.

Maybe a poor choice of descriptive words?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts