Ducati.org forum banner

Front kickstand bolt removal

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fhalperformance 
It sounds like some dodgy work has been done on this previously. My suggestion would be to fix it properly rather than have an ongoing risk of your bike tipping over, or trying to re-engineer it.

The threads in the crankcase can be repaired with helicoils. If they are done correctly they will be as strong as ever.

The angle of some of these stands can also be repaired - it was a common problem on many of the earlier Ducati superbikes. The stop permitted the stand to pivot too far forward, which worked its way worse in use.

So my suggestion would be to:
1. Helicoil the threads and replace those two mounting bolts.
2. Add a small amount of aluminium weld to the point on the stand where it hits against the stop in the down position. This can be ground back with a few times of fitting to establish the correct angle. You only need a small amount - perhaps about a millimetre.

The stand needs to go past perpendicular to be safe, but not as far as it went previously.

And the stands don't "bend", as stated above. They simply go too far forward, which then puts a high torsional load through the pivot. If you add the correct amount of weld, and have everything else there fitted safely, you will have a reliable sidestand.

I have had to fix a few with this issue, and they end up fine.

Not an expensive process if you can do all but the helicoils and the weld yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.