Ducati.org forum banner

Front kickstand bolt removal

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  fhalperformance 
#1 ·
My bolt in the front position of my kick stand is stripped and needs to be replaced. I have a new bolt to go in & have fixed the threads for it but Im having trouble getting the bolt out due to the spring "pivot."

The pivot that the spring attaches to through a bracket: does that come out somehow? Didnt want to break anything without getting some input from someone that has had to do this.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
The threads stripped off of the bolt. It doesn't look like the bolt can come out without removing the part that holds #6 onto #10.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I ground down the part that holds number 6 onto the bracket just a little to get the bolt out and now I have the kickstand on the bike. Ill have to see what angle its leaning at as this is the first time Ive had the bike on the kickstand since I purchased it. It will take some getting use to its not sitting right with me.

-looks mean I like it... Ive never distrusted a kickstand as much as I do this one tho.

-You can see its angle in relation to the front stand sitting in front of it.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
So I took it out for a ride & set it on its kick stand on level ground and the bike seemed to have leaned more then usual. I bent down to look at the kickstand and the bike came over on me. Luckily the bike is pretty much untouched minus 2 cracks in the lower fairing but the kickstand bracket did not make it...

Now I have to build a custom mounted kickstand as the crank case is not going to hold threads anymore lol. Lucky me.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
The front hole which pulled out was already helicoil-ed. Its held the bike for over 60 hours on various different surfaces before this happened. The bracket snapped in the center and the torque on the front bolt ripped the helicoil in half & out of the motor with a piece of the shoulder. Had to cut the helicoil in order to separate the stand from the bike so that isnt what failed. I had just checked the kickstand to make sure it was secured properly not 40 miles before this happened. luckily its hasn't damaged the crankcase in its capacity as a crankcase it just isn't going to be reliable enough for holding the bike at this point in my opinion. I have a couple ideas im going to prototype this week that I'm pretty excited about as the forks are coming off to get rebuilt with new bushings, seals, springs & valving. All of this has just wonderful timing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.