Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace front rotor on a 2012 848 evo and I can't remove the caliper from between the wheel and the rotor. Please reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need to replace front rotor on a 2012 848 evo and I can't remove the caliper from between the wheel and the rotor. Please reply.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tape the rim above the caliper to protect the paint. If you remove the banjo bolt and brake lines this will also give you more room but will require the system to be bled after.

·
Court Jester
11,819 Posts
Just like Dutch said you have to wiggle it a bit as well.

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
Just keep them off afterward. We don't need no stinkin' brakes! :stickpoke

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
The gap between the calipers and the wheel is very close on those bikes. The hydraulic line which connects the two is extremely tight. The solution is actually quite simple; remove the front fender. Its only four bolts, take them out, pop the hydraulic line out from its holder and gently slide the fender forward. This will release the stress on the hydraulic line and give you the extra space to remove the calipers.

DO NOT unscrew the banjo fitting, as it will drip break fluid everywhere and contaminate the brake pads and rotor. Plus, the system will need to be re-bled when re-assembled.

With the fender removed, if you have a stand which doesn't interface with the forks or wheel, you can leave the calipers on the bike by simply popping the axel out and twisting the fork legs out as you remove the wheel. This is a great trick for those who wish to save time.

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
You will most likely have to make sure that the brake pads/pistons are pressed right back in to the caliper so you can angle the caliper enough to get it out but it should come.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Kinda like to change my wheels like, while they are removed, you can mess with the rotors!!

Video's 3

Yeah he makes them for Ducatis also!

·
Registered
338 Posts
We do get a set of sexy brake calipers and rotors on the ducs.

While we are on that subject - could anyone confirm:
-clean calipers with toothbrush and soapy water
-use green scotchbrite (light pressure) to remove old pad deposite

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have used Green Scotchbrite to clean some rust off the rotors. BUT, BEWARE, my son did it for me after a rain race @ NOLA, the next day he clean the rust off the rotors before the next days warm-up lap... I went flying into turn one trying to keep heat in the tires... pulled in the brake lever, not very much!!! I use carbon brake pads, and he had also removed the carbon film on the rotors!!! Luckily they got bedded in by the time I got to my grid position for the start!!! Yeah, green Scotchbrite is pretty good stuff!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts