Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this mod on their ST? The standard gearing (15 tooth front sprocket) is a bit high, sometimes I have to slip the clutch in traffic and so I bought a 14 tooth sprocket to reduce the ratios. It works well, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this mod and had any negative effects. fi. The plastic wear piece on the top of the swinging arm seems to be wearing away faster than before I made the change. Anyone have any comments? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
did it love it for around town/ not bad on the highway/ loss some fuel mileage- overall think great performance gain for small $$$
easy to change back to 15 longest time to reset rear wheel to center otherwise a 15 minute job
richard

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know about on an ST but it a definite do on the 1098.

CAG

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know about on an ST but it is a definite do on the 1098.

CAG

·
Registered
110 Posts
14 teeth and other things that work

Did it and much better - 15t is way overgeared. Also, try cutting a big hole in the top of the standard airbox - makes huge difference to smoothness. For fully loaded teh spring on the rear shock - Ohlins - is too soft, try a harder one and less preload and also raise teh ride height with the tie rod, makes it steer and track much better and lower the front without any loss of stability. enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Consider leaving the 15 on the front, but replacing the rear with a 42, as per the latest ST3's.

The chain then won't rip the chain guard to bits over time.

I find the 15/42 gearing very friendly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i did this mod a while ago on my st4s it worked great no problems, more power

i need help finding carbon fiber parts for my st4s any suggestions

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried the front sprocket and it whined, the chain didnt like it, (ducati part) and went to a rear instead. 42t no noise and dont really need to down shift at 70+ mph in 6th, the OEM set up bogged at anything below 80mph in 6th. still getting 180-200 miles on a tank of fuel

·
Registered
5 Posts
i went to a 14 and love it. it will give you a great 1st gear rush. you will increase rpm about 600 rpm at 70 mph, and lose about 5 mpg on the hiway. you will like it better inless all you do is cruise at 70 mph

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the previous poster about staying with the 15F and going 42R. The bike does everything well with that gearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was recommended to switch to 14/44 which I've done & feel much better acceleration. I don't worry about mpg's just better performance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts