Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what you guys are using...

I need a front stand for mine, and by the time I am done buying the forklift stand, and head attachment, I am at $300. Seems a bit outrageous to me. I like Pit-bull stands, but c'mon!

I could buy one of the bike lifts (that lift from the center of the frame) for an extra $60...

Want my stand to be useful- in-case I have to get forks out, etc... so I want it to be able to lift from the tree- as well as the forks (if possible)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Here you go:

Venom Motorcycle Triple Tree Headlift Front Wheel Lift Stand For Ya...

Good and cheap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Isn't the PitBull Hybrid Dual Lift Stand (can lift from forks or steering stem) only $209.95? Not cheap by any means but less than $300. Also the stand will last you a life time so, look at it as a long term investment.

Other wise, I've been pretty happy with Woodcraft but, they don't list one for the 1x98 for some reason (the 848 is in there). DMP makes nice budget stands too. I generally like both their designs because they're strong, much lighter that the pitbulls and the bracing lets me run a cable through 'em if I ever need to lock 'em up for some reason.

Some people around here like T-Rex stands. They're about half the price of pitbull.

I am real cautious about
- I had a crappy LP stand that would flex enough under the weight of the bike that the bike would just fall off after awhile.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't the PitBull Hybrid Dual Lift Stand (can lift from forks or steering stem) only $209.95? Not cheap by any means but less than $300. Also the stand will last you a life time so, look at it as a long term investment.
no- the pit-bull site kinda sucks. The $209 version isnt compatable with 1198's. The hybrid forklift and headlift combo stand for the 1198's is $295
If you look on their site they also list the hybrid conversion for $75. Again, that isnt for the 1198's.

I spent a bit of time on the phone with their tech dept this week in regards to exactly this. Their website should be much more clear as to fitment

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have the fork lift stand from Pitbull with the attachment that bolts in through the pads and has the delrin "J" hooks to lift from the 1098 lower triple clamp. It isnt a super smooth easy operation. I would only ever use it when removing the forks. Otherwise, no thanks, I lift from under the fork legs. I think I paid $60 or something for that extra piece and $100 soemthing for the regular fork lift. Yes, by no means cheap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no- the pit-bull site kinda sucks. The $209 version isnt compatable with 1198's. The hybrid forklift and headlift combo stand for the 1198's is $295
Ah, it needs the J-hooks - that explains alot!

Hmmm.

Welll, like Agr0 said, you only need the J-hooks for removing the forks. The standard fork-lift stands will cover you for most everything else and, even with the J-Hooks, you can't remove the triples - you need the Jack Stands (or equiv) for that.

How often do you have to pull the forks off? If it's relatively rare you can knock-up a stand from 2x4's and pipe. If it's a regular occurrence e.g. changing out suspension alot, I'd imagine that $300 for stands would seem pretty cheap.

Anyway, to address your issue, Powerstands makes one for $167.11 w/ shipping. I haven't used one before but, they paid contingency and have a warm spot in my heart.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up going PitBull. I was in a bind- cold track yesterday and wanted to use tire warmers.
Moto-D our trackside vendor came through for me!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just the fork lift.

After the bike slid off it and broke my fender I have had no issues :(
(operator error i do believe)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Boo! Sorry about that!
Even if it isn't exactly what you wanted, at least you have a high quality stand that'll last forever.

·
Registered
765 Posts
just the fork lift.

After the bike slid off it and broke my fender I have had no issues :(
(operator error i do believe)
Did put the stand under the bottom of the forks or the brackets for the calipers. I do the latter as it seems most secure to the point that I can remove the rear stand and have the bike on the fronts only

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Too bad the 1198 doesn't have the hole on the bottom of the triple for a pin like the 848. The wood craft stand is by far the easiest front stand I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did put the stand under the bottom of the forks or the brackets for the calipers. I do the latter as it seems most secure to the point that I can remove the rear stand and have the bike on the fronts only
When it slipped off the stand was under the bottom of the forks.

I feel it works better if I put 1 of the pads back under the caliper bracket, and the other pad under the fork, but off to the back (if that makes sense)

In my prior life as a kawi guy, I used Vortex stands with the pin lift under the neck. So I am getting used to the forklift style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts