Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story, but my front suspension is making this sound and for the life of me i cannot figure out what it is.

It is a kind of double click sound mainly on the rebound.

My bike has just got back from the repairers after a very minor job after a car knocked into my bike whilst parked.
The repairs included repainting fairing, persuading the steering stop lug and a few bits and bobs.
They also changed the tires (needed new ones anyway).

when i rode it i noticed the front end is making this noise.
Im trying to work out what could be causing it, and if it would be related to the repairs, the timing of it happening is way to coincidental for me.

I thought it was something fouling the suspension, but a mate and i stood there bouncing it for 10 mins and can't work out what it is. That sound does reverberate somewhat through the fender- hence me thinking it was directly related to that.

Anyone with any ideas, appreciate your help.

See attached link

·
Registered
102 Posts
long story, but my front suspension is making this sound and for the life of me i cannot figure out what it is.

It is a kind of double click sound mainly on the rebound.

My bike has just got back from the repairers after a very minor job after a car knocked into my bike whilst parked.
The repairs included repainting fairing, persuading the steering stop lug and a few bits and bobs.
They also changed the tires (needed new ones anyway).

when i rode it i noticed the front end is making this noise.
Im trying to work out what could be causing it, and if it would be related to the repairs, the timing of it happening is way to coincidental for me.

I thought it was something fouling the suspension, but a mate and i stood there bouncing it for 10 mins and can't work out what it is. That sound does reverberate somewhat through the fender- hence me thinking it was directly related to that.

Anyone with any ideas, appreciate your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJ8a05kx_o&feature=youtu.be

See attached link
Its not your front brake rotors moving back and forward on the buttons is it?? Try bouncing the front end without the front brake on

·
Registered
145 Posts
Öhlins?

Without being there it sounds like something is either bouncing in the shock, or is compressed and as it returns to normal, it's bound against something and as it rises, it pushes by it and reseats. Like...how to explain....the tube goes up but the spring doesn't for a certain amount of space and suddenly catches up, causing a knock?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, ohlins.

the sound is very much a plastic sound and quite loud. i immediately thought it was fork leg on fender and not until i watched it and had my hand on fender did i realise thats not what was happening. the sound appears to reverberate through the fender though, so kept looking under that point.

The click is distinct enough to be felt in the clip on. seems mainly in the left.

its a gremlin all right!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tye1138 I think you may be on to something. I'll check in the morning if it's twisted at all, as I noticed the fender wasn't perfectly aligned. Maybe it's been shunted on a bump on the road and thrown it all out of whack. You reckon binding would make it click so loud?

·
Registered
979 Posts
just checked mine with 1098S ohlins and it doesn't make that sound, hope its something simple, is the brake line securely in the clip on back of fender? loose brake pad maybe? we should have very similar forks / setup etc

-Carbon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah ducnial, normally you get a little bit of sound, potentially even from the disc etc, but this is a metallic click that reverberates through the fender. Its towards the bottom end of the stroke too (i.e. once past that) and when it begins to rebound ... click. Front wheel doesn't look noticeably out (although i don't have a race stand to get it perfectly straight)

my money is on misaligned forks and binding fork tubes, clicking and reverberating.

Cheers all for your input, I'm sick of speculating so am getting it out to the mechanics today!!

Once i know what it is i'll report back so this note can help anyone in a similar situation in the future.
Cheers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not 100% yet bstar.
Mechanic has pulled them apart to reveal no broken bits.
With front wheel off forks are still making the sound and initial reaction is it's just wear and tear and tolerances increasing. (No misaligned forks externally as such). Pretty crappy outcome if that was the case.
Mech spoke to ohlins tech and apparently it's a shim related issue. Sounds like it's similar to the fault that has been occurring on multistradas, but nothing concrete yet.
Btw it's an 09 1198s. Apparently (as someone has mentioned prior on these forums) the ohlins they (ducati) use is the shit stuff. Gotta say, not impressed so far. I've done fork seals at 18k klm and now this at 24k.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Final answer... gremlin.

Not really satisfied, but what do you do.
Apparently forks are fine and its just a tolerance issue around the top of the damper.
Ohlins tech confirmed the shim issue relates only to the elec suspension units. no known fault on this model... so thats it. I own clicky suspension... that never clicked really before....

Anyone in a future situation, hope it helps.
Cheers, Pete.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a recall on right fork on the 2009 Ducati 1198s. Something has to do with bottom of the fork cracking. My bike is getting a new fork now. . I didn't have issues with it. But it's a safety thing. So they are replacing it free of charge to me. Originally $2,700+ repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ducati.org Forum mobile app

1 - 20 of 20 Posts