Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased an 1198 a few weeks ago via Ebay, trucked it all the way to FL for some winter riding(I'm from the Windy City), just discovered that the front rim has been repaired. Hard to tell what original damage might have been, but it looks as if it may have been bondo'ed...! Already replaced radiator because of leak that I was not told of. It had been poorly repaired and painted.

Questions from this new 1198 rider:
1. Would anyone keep riding this bike around town before replacing the wheel? (Had in triple digits already before the discovery)
2. Could this be what's causing the front rotor to be off center? It's rubbing ever so slightly on one side.
3. Given that the "repairs" are crap, but the cover up quality is okay...would anyone try to hold the eBay seller responsible? I'm reasonably pissed, these are not especially cheap repairs, but dont want to be a dip.

I had a mint 749s before this...way less power, but never had a single issue with anything.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
If there was untold issues with bike, def inform Ebay. They like to keep it all on the up and up and you can lodge a complaint for it being not as described. They tend to insure purchasers for this type of thing but if you don't tell them, they won't know.

I'd take it to a shop and have the front wheel removed, checked for true and balanced.

Best get on all of this sooner rather than later. A few weeks is already a long while after receiving it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there was untold issues with bike, def inform Ebay. They like to keep it all on the up and up and you can lodge a complaint for it being not as described. They tend to insure purchasers for this type of thing but if you don't tell them, they won't know.

I'd take it to a shop and have the front wheel removed, checked for true and balanced.

Best get on all of this sooner rather than later. A few weeks is already a long while after receiving it.
Thanks for the ebay advice. Yes, with getting home and then getting down here...time gone, but hopefully not wasted. I get a bit of head shake above 100. Doesn't feel rock solid like the 749s did. This is most likely e reason. Will just replace it ASAP.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had a set repaired which include a a hole. They can easily be fix and be straight, even straighter than from the factory.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
"caveat emptor" ..

Check the threads for used rims, better safe than sorry -

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Thanks for the ebay advice. Yes, with getting home and then getting down here...time gone, but hopefully not wasted. I get a bit of head shake above 100. Doesn't feel rock solid like the 749s did. This is most likely e reason. Will just replace it ASAP.
Wheel repaired, radiator leaking, head shake over 100......sounds like the bike has been tossed down the road and patched back together.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
If the rim was repaired professionally, don't worry at all. If it was repaired with bondo just to make it look a little better, get rid of it asap. The radiator dosent bother me whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm in agreement with the others above about the wheel, throw that sucker away. Any fixed "cracks" even if they're welded, indicate the wheel should not be trusted with your life. Most wheels bend when hit and bends are easily fixed without welding, you wouldn't even notice the issues. But a cracked wheel which was bondo'd is a no-no.

I agree, the bike's probably been chucked down the road and repaired.

I would file a claim with Ebay and Paypal. You need to write down the damages and reclaim some of the money you spent on the purchase. Just figure out how much it will cost for a new wheel and radiator to start with. Then ask for that much money back. The resolution process works good, there will be a negotiation phase, but after that, you'll get something back. Been there, done that both as a buyer and seller. It sucks when you don't notice something wrong with an item you sell someone. It's worse when the problem is blatantly covered up and never mentioned on the ad. I deal with ebay every day of my life, it's one of my part time gigs and you've absolutely got a case for some refunding.

Sorry for your issues.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Imperialsportbikes......I've bought several items from them. Great to deal with and straight shooters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
+1 on Imperialsportbikes. I just picked up a forged front rim from them. shipped bullet proof. And accurate on the description.

I have a base model 09 1198 and I might be interested in selling the stock rims. As I just picked up a set of 2010 1198s wheels. I could sell you a front rim without the rotors. ( I am keeping the rotors) LMK.

The stock 1198 wheel is a Enkei.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments and advice!! I'm lined up to buy an 848 front rim with discs tomorrow. Everything I've seen says 848/1098/1198 all compatible. Please let me know if otherwise.

I think the head shake may have been do, at least in part, to the front suspension settings being out of whack with one another. It was pretty off. Haven't really been able to test it at high speed because of the rim issue, but have noticed an improvement.

From what I've seen, these radiators have been an issue for many. I picked up a used one in excellent condition and swapped it out.

As far as it being a crashed bike...maybe. I don't have an UN-crashed one to compare it too when it comes to some details. I have seen/ridden abused bikes before, and this one does not have that...vibe...at all.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What I have gathered. The front rim on the 848 is the same or compatible with the 1*98. But the rear isn't.
the 848 rear is narrower then the 1*98 rims are.

And the rad problem is with only 2 mounting points. the 1 on the left side sounds like it goes first.
I think 2010/2011 Ducati used 3 mounting points or just a better spot.

Again someone with more experience will chime in.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The front wheels are compatible but not the rears as cul8er mentioned. The rear axle on the 1x98 is bigger.

The rads on the older bikes (07-09 I believe) had a slight flaw in that the upper left mount could tear and cause a leak. I believe it was found that the battery box uses the lower rad mount as it's left side mount and if the battery box came a bit lose, the weight of the battery would pull down on the rad on that left upper mount.

I had the rad in my 08 848 replaced under warranty in 09 at 18,000K so it still has the older style rad in it. I do check my battery box mount though and use a light weight battery and it's held for another 73,000K.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Repaired rims are inherently weaker than undamaged wheels. Aluminum work hardens and becomes brittle as it is bent or impacted. I have seen many rims that were repaired in multiple levels of competency. Over time they all fail if they are driven vigorously, or over poor road conditions. They tend to crack, bend easily, and I've even seen large sections of the sidewall of the rim split off. On a car, it's risky, but you don't have to worry about balance. On a motorcycle, you're taking your life in your own hands for what is really a petty expense. Buy a new wheel if it is more than just surface scratches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts