Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel leaks after a hot day's ride? Problem?

Hello,

Past Sunday I did a short ride, and filled the bike up prior to putting it up. The weather was about upper 90's.

I've notice a gas leak from my overflow tube.

Checked the clamp and surrounding area, everything was dry and good.

I assume this is semi ok, correct? I did fill up the tank prior to bringing it home. Also, I did open the gas cap to release the pressure as well after putting a little fuel stabilizer in the tank.

Cheers,

Bike is the '11 SF S

·
Registered
244 Posts
Normal for a full tank in hot weather. Especially if you fill it vertically then park the bike on the sidestand. As the contents of the tank get warmer (the fuel was probably nice and cool underground) it builds up a little pressure because the small amount of air in the top of the tank needs to expand and it pushes a bit of fuel out.
No worries other than the mess, unless you have the carbon evap canister still attached... if that gets saturated it can make the bike a little hard to start sometimes.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normal for a full tank in hot weather. Especially if you fill it vertically then park the bike on the sidestand. As the contents of the tank get warmer (the fuel was probably nice and cool underground) it builds up a little pressure because the small amount of air in the top of the tank needs to expand and it pushes a bit of fuel out.
No worries other than the mess, unless you have the carbon evap canister still attached... if that gets saturated it can make the bike a little hard to start sometimes.
Too lazy to take the damn thing off lol...

Will do it when I'm free.

Also, I am experiencing a little oil leak. possible from that gasket behind the front sprocket since every where else is clean

·
Registered
438 Posts
the tank is already a smaller replacement.

I am currently searching for a local metal fab to have an aluminum tank made.

That's gonna take some serious talent for sure, not your average metal monkey mustang shop job.

I remember watching old OCC shows. Rick made a hand made aluminium gas tank I think it took eight hours a day for 5 days. @ 40+ hours it might be cheaper to find a nice used DP tank. but I just realised you have a SF and the tanks are slightly different, that sucks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Also, I am experiencing a little oil leak. possible from that gasket behind the front sprocket since every where else is clean
Probably leaking from the front sprocket oil seal.. not uncommon.

Reactions: Donger

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Probably leaking from the front sprocket oil seal.. not uncommon.
Yeah, I'll recheck again. Possible just hot weather got everything messy..
This pass Sunday was clean without any leaks whatsoever..

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's gonna take some serious talent for sure, not your average metal monkey mustang shop job.

I remember watching old OCC shows. Rick made a hand made aluminium gas tank I think it took eight hours a day for 5 days. @ 40+ hours it might be cheaper to find a nice used DP tank. but I just realised you have a SF and the tanks are slightly different, that sucks.
My buddy here has a guy who does custom titanium header for cars/bikes..
I asked him to send my regards.
I do not mind paying $2k for craftsmanship

1 - 9 of 9 Posts