Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have done some research and can not find it in here. has anyone ran out of gas and the gas light not come on? I usually wait until it comes on to get gas. I was only a couple miles away from home so wasn't a big deal. just not sure what the problem could be. I priced the flange and that was $1039 from ducati of Omaha. any advice would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
When my light finally quit it was due to the sending unit. It's a small piece inside the tank. It heats up when the gas gets below it and turns the light on. I believe it's a thermo coupling. The light used to come on with 45K left till empty but it started coming on with approx 10K left. Ran out a couple of times. Last time the light didn't come on at all.

I hoped online and purchased a lightly used pump assembly from Imperialsuperbikes on Ebay for $75 and just swapped out pump, thermo couple and filter as a unit on the flange. Muuuuuuch easier than pissing around trying to replace just the thermo couple which I believe can be bought from Ducati for $85.00.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Patrick's advice is on the money… and the fuel light never really works right no matter what because fuel sloshes around in the tank when your riding and tricks the sensor. I just used my odometer to remind me of fuel changes. I'd reset it during fills and at 120 miles, I'd find the nearest gas station.

·
Registered
866 Posts
There is a thermistor that is attached to the fuel pump assembly that takes a $hit every 10k miles or so lol. Fairly straightforward replacement if you drain all the gas out of the tank and pull the fuel pump out of the bottom. Part is about $60 at the dealership.

Replaceable part# 552.4.048.1A

Part #9 if you're looking at the schematic for the fuel pump. Pull the tank, drop the pump out, swap the thermistor and button it back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts