Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of my new exhaust system made by Maxtreme-Performance?

All made out of Inconel, except the mufflers, those are Titanium.

Reactions: 34566

·
Registered
110 Posts
How much did that cost? Inconel is very expensive and not easy to work with. Why did they choose that material? Whenever we use Inconel it is almost exclusively used on parts going into space. Don't take this post as an attack or anything. I'm just really curious why Inconel was chosen.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much did that cost? Inconel is very expensive and not easy to work with. Why did they choose that material? Whenever we use Inconel it is almost exclusively used on parts going into space. Don't take this post as an attack or anything. I'm just really curious why Inconel was chosen.
Right because of that reason. It's really exclusive, and hardly ever seen on motorcycles. F1 teams like McLaren use it for ther exhaust systems as well

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View from underneath

Attachments

·
Registered
828 Posts
Wow space material! Why so many welds? Any tangible benefits such as weight savings or heat dissipation other than the exclusivity factor?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow space material! Why so many welds? Any tangible benefits such as weight savings or heat dissipation other than the exclusivity factor?
Because the metal is not bend. All segments welded together.

I think BJK could tell us way more about Inconel, but it's lighter than steel. Heavier than Titanium though, but 10x stronger than Titanium. It can reach insane high temperatures, what is way more than you would ever come close to with your motorcycle. It dissipates heat also better than Titanium. Please BJK fill me in on this.

I do love those welds...the system looks good quality-wise....
I loved the look of my Carbon slashcut Termignoni's. But 90% of the 848/1X98 that I see over here have them...

·
Official Site Vendor
1,032 Posts
After looking at those welds, I can't bend! :jerkoff:

·
Registered
828 Posts
I love the exclusivity. But to be perfectly honest I'm not sold on the 100 welds, not as clean. Seems like a LOT of $$ and effort for not a lot of tangible gain?

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Holy crap awesome! Now upgrade those wheels for f%(k's sake!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
Because the metal is not bend. All segments welded together.

I think BJK could tell us way more about Inconel, but it's lighter than steel. Heavier than Titanium though, but 10x stronger than Titanium. It can reach insane high temperatures, what is way more than you would ever come close to with your motorcycle. It dissipates heat also better than Titanium. Please BJK fill me in on this.

I loved the look of my Carbon slashcut Termignoni's. But 90% of the 848/1X98 that I see over here have them...
That's kind of a loaded question. There are so many different alloys of Inconel, steel, and Ti. It really depends on what you are designing which alloy you would choose. And cost is also a big factor as well...generally speaking, Inconel works very well in extreme conditions because it retains its properties through a very wide temperature range. It is also very resistant to oxidization and corrosion, but can also be quite difficult to machine.

as far as comparing Inconel to any other material, you really need to compare specific alloys. It isnt as easy as saying compare Inconel to Titatnium.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know which Inconel alloy was used? You have me really curious now haha
I send an email with that question to the builder. He thought 625, but was not sure. He's going to find out. Are there many differences between the Inconel Alloys?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts