Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advise......I raced a number of years ago and plan on putting my red 1198 on the track for 5-6 track days a year.

I've been looking at full 1 piece race suits and I'm not sure which suit is a better choice for the money. Drop me your opinion: if you have any other options on back protectors let me know too!

1. Dainese W-Frame Estiva (1950$) today (size 52/54) with the Wave Back protector(200more). The suit seemed to fit very well with excellent protection. Full black suit.
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/t-w-frame-p-estiva.html?cat=9

2. Revit Suit Tarmac ($1350) -size 52.
http://www.revit.eu/en/#/tarmac

3. Alpine Stars MX-1 ($1399)

* don't know the sizing - assuming it would be the same as the Dianese and Revit (54or52)

http://www.alpinestars.com/MX1_Racing_Leather_Suit/pd/c/131/np/131/p/315658.html

Does anyone have any recommendations. I need to buy a suit within about 2 weeks as the weather here in Canada is starting to get nice. Just waiting for all of the roads to be cleaned (from the salt and sand of the winter!!).

Appreciate your help!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Personally I would go with the Alpinestars MX-1 top notch suit I've seen them reduced to $999

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd honestly go with the astars Tech 1-R from a protection and benefit v. cost effectiveness standpoint. It's exactly like their top of the line Race Replica only 1100 cheaper. The guys from STG did a great review on it. Considering the fact that you were contemplating paying almost 2 grand for a suit that has the name "Dainese" on it you could just save the extra cash and put it into more mods :yo:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8354

·
Registered
780 Posts
While I haven't owned an A* 1-piece, I can tell you I just picked up a redline suit and it's like slapping on titanium coated butter. Gotta love Dainese.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I personally like the top of the line Teknic suits, best $ deal, fit and best protection. Of the choices you put up I prefer the Revit!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my opinion it really comes down to which suit fits you the best? Not sure if you have the ability to try any of them on but a lot of these suits are night and day different in sizing and fit. I could never find a A* or (newer) Teknic that fit my size. Dainese seems to fit me much better so I went with that. Rev'it seems to make nice suits as well and was thinking of trying one this year but haven't had the opertunity to try one on yet (the local shop didn't have my size in stock).

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'd honestly go with the astars Tech 1-R from a protection and benefit v. cost effectiveness standpoint. It's exactly like their top of the line Race Replica only 1100 cheaper.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=8354
Not exactly the same:)
The race rep is higher end leather, and more heavily perforated...

Tech 1R is excellent value for money though....if it were around when i was buying, i would have got one...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I got my 1 piece laguna seca pro dainese suit for under $1000. There are plenty of deals to be had if you look around.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Comfort...price...and leather. Name brand means nothing. Its not as if your going on tour with the Motogp...:popcorn:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got the new Alpine Stars MX-1's from Riders Discount and they are SICK! The fit and finish is fantastic. Also picked up a pair of APStars GP pro gloves. Superb fit and fishish. Very happy. Can't push RidersDiscount enough. Flew down to Florida and picked them up (All I need down here is a bike!).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Likewise, I just got me a Laguna Seca pro for $900. Couldn't be happier with it.
Likewise... recently picked up a Dainese Redline suit from a motorcycle retailer on ebay. Used 1x and in perfect condition for $900 (retail = $1500). Just keep looking and you'll find a deal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For the money you are talking about you could get a custom Syed or Vanson or Barnacle Bill suit that will be better quality and fit better than the off the shelf suits you mentioned. This is just personal opionion and not meaning to hurt anyones feeling but wearing a suit that says Alpinestars, Ducati, or Dainese across the chest makes you look like a giant douche. The companies mentioned above provide much better protection through both fit and quality if you actually plan on using them. Just my 2 cents. Nobody get their panties in wad.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
For the money you are talking about you could get a custom Syed or Vanson or Barnacle Bill suit that will be better quality and fit better than the off the shelf suits you mentioned. This is just personal opionion and not meaning to hurt anyones feeling but wearing a suit that says Alpinestars, Ducati, or Dainese across the chest makes you look like a giant douche. The companies mentioned above provide much better protection through both fit and quality if you actually plan on using them. Just my 2 cents. Nobody get their panties in wad.
plus 1 on a custom fitting suit.........take a look at Gimoto suits

·
Registered
770 Posts
I think the major brands, off the shelf leathers, offer great uo to date protection and excellent value for money....as long as you a fitted correctly. Wearing major brands labels shouldnt label someone a douch...but each to their own.

The Syed leathers are just downright ugly, and the Barnicle Bill stuff looks like it's left over from the 80's....IMO, I'll stick to the latest technology found in my suit and remain a 'douch'. I've yet to see a custom suit the same quality as the suit I wear.

I wouldn't be seen dead in any of the brands you mention {except Vanson}...they're all relics and f*ckin plain ugly, and I wouldn't trust them....just my opinion and 2 cents. Don't get you knickers in a knot.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts