Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still waiting for delivery of my 1098S with full termi system and have a Q - The dealer siad not to bother fitting the chip for road use (which I will use the bike for most). He said something about it 'dumping to much fuel..'

I have read elsewhere about the bike being dyno'd with the full system and chip...

Can anyone enlighten me as to the use of the chip, should I use on on the road etc, any benefits/downsides? Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
My "S" showed up at the dealer last night. They were fitting the full termi on it when I got there. I got a chance to talk to the tech and he said the only thing he was waiting on was a program or a down load rather from Ducati for the chip. I ask if the chip was necessary for the full system. He stated that with out it the bike would run to lean...and not to mention that for warranty reasons it was a must. I'd be curious to find out what others had to say. I ask in a earlier thread if anyone had seen a good looking wind screen, well the smoked double bubble from Ducati looks great on it!

Hey Chris from Dallas, if your out there I pm'ed you...get back with me so we can ride soon.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I assume that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. That's why it comes with the ECU, because it needs it. Even the slip ons come with an ECU. Both need to be tuned even after the install. Were you talking to a slaes guy or a service manager?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Malevolent Monster said:
I assume that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. That's why it comes with the ECU, because it needs it. Even the slip ons come with an ECU. Both need to be tuned even after the install. Were you talking to a slaes guy or a service manager?
First off, I'm not a technician nor an engineer, so I'm not going vouch for the info that I posted earlier. I'm merely stating what I was told by a the technician installing the Termi. It's quite possible he was just speaking to me in a means to get out of his hair??? Any how, I'll get some pictures posted ASAP. I won't get the bike untill 4pm central time on the 10th.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dibs said:
My "S" showed up at the dealer last night. They were fitting the full termi on it when I got there. I got a chance to talk to the tech and he said the only thing he was waiting on was a program or a down load rather from Ducati for the chip. I ask if the chip was necessary for the full system. He stated that with out it the bike would run to lean...and not to mention that for warranty reasons it was a must. I'd be curious to find out what others had to say. I ask in a earlier thread if anyone had seen a good looking wind screen, well the smoked double bubble from Ducati looks great on it!
Well, i hope this might clear this up....im not a ducati technician but i am a mechanic of sorts....... th Termi system is larger then the standard system.. 70mm? the standard being 57mm on the 1098 (and S).. from what i've seen in the press. THis allows the exhaust gases to flow more freely, and as DIBS says you will run lean because of this. The chip for the ECU remaps the timing to compensate for this free flow.... thats why you find a bit more power aswell as a louder sound..... more air and fuel= more power, but they must have the right balance for optimum power.... is that easy enough to understand?
So, do get the ECU Chip fitted, you and the bike will benefit.
I can quite believe it will void the warranty too...... too lean (not enough fuel) can make the valves run too hot,and too rich ( more fuel than air) can burn the valves up and choke them with carbon.
Anybody disagree?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quat D from Italy through a German dealer

20 HP more at 5500 RPM! Without software set-up! At top range a extra about 2,5 hp! Removable noise killer

http://kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm...seite&seite=158

Ordered a set in to see what they are like, there is no chip with these.

What I found interesting is that the Termi 70mm headers are sold as an independent unit also and come with a chip.

I would deduce the chip is more essential for the 70mm headers and not 100% essential with a slip on system given the info from Quad D

I am going to add the Termi headers to the Quad D system as I prefer the look of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
ducatijon said:
Well, i hope this might clear this up....im not a ducati technician but i am a mechanic of sorts....... th Termi system is larger then the standard system.. 70mm? the standard being 57mm on the 1098 (and S).. from what i've seen in the press. THis allows the exhaust gases to flow more freely, and as DIBS says you will run lean because of this. The chip for the ECU remaps the timing to compensate for this free flow.... thats why you find a bit more power aswell as a louder sound..... more air and fuel= more power, but they must have the right balance for optimum power.... is that easy enough to understand?
So, do get the ECU Chip fitted, you and the bike will benefit.
I can quite believe it will void the warranty too...... too lean (not enough fuel) can make the valves run too hot,and too rich ( more fuel than air) can burn the valves up and choke them with carbon.
Anybody disagree?
You read my mind.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got back from Ducati day in Atlanta, saw the S with full Termi., looks hot and sounds awesome!!! I asked the dealer about installing the chip and he gave me this look like are you crazy :bash: of course you do!

It was a nice sunny afternoon with $25 dollar dyno tests and grilled sausages. I couldn't sit on the bike because it was not the shops so I was a little bummed about that. It was nice seeing over 50 MVs and Ducs out and about though. Good times and good peeps.

Should be getting my base in 3 weeks! :naughty:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys, I just bought the termi slip on cans for my bike, do I need to reprogram the new ECU, once its installed? Can I just installed the can and just plug in the ECU? The problem is, there is no Ducati dealer in my town, the closest Ducati dealer is 20 hrs drive...(I live in Indonesia, btw)..Thx

·
Registered
588 Posts
You cannot do anything with a plug and go ECU, you can program a Nemesis or you go with the standard, slip-on or race ECU with a PCIII and set up the PCIII.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Fact is the bike would run fine with just the exhaust, but,,,,,,One-the stock ECU will look for the exhaust valve, ehhh gone, you'll get an error, won't affect how the bike runs but the light will be there. Two- not as bad you'll have to plug the O2 sensor into the exhaust as again the stock ECU needs to see that. if it doesn't see that things will not be good.
Obviously the best thing to do is replace the ECU with the unit that comes with the system.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There's heaps of data on the net about running a full system with the stock ECU. I've seen dyno charts for the Arrow system and Akra do one aswell. The important thing to remember is that these after market systems have a fitting in the header for the oxygen sensor. This will allow the stock ECU to make limited adjustments to the fueling although you will still get the error code for the exhaust flap valve if you unplug it. From what I have seen the Termi System does not have this oxygen sensor fitting as it is designed to run with a different ECU. I wouldn't take the chance of running the stock ECU with these headers. I bet they wont fit your highflow airfilter either. Chances are he's relying on the ECU going into failsafe mode because it wont be able to read the oxygen sensor. Most cars and bikes run rich when this happens so it doesnt destroy the engine. The bike would probably run ok but its a gamble I wouldnt like to take with my pride and joy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts