Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone think, belly up? Im guessing like all their efforts to expand and diversify , Buell, MV Agusta, EV's, etc its all been complete failures. They havent been able to come up with a decent product that appeals to millenials and their best selling bike is a big ass Rascal scooter. My guess is in the next 10 years the only HD logo we see are on crappy wallmart clothes and coffee mugs.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
the average age of a harley rider continues to rise, i believe its mid 50's. their target market is dying. the boomers who once thought loud pipes and being a rebel was cool are dying. the company will probably be bought by someone else. i dont want to see them go under but i fear its inevitable.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Harley riders are mostly in it for the lifestyle. The feeling of freedom on the open road. Maybe slightly anti-establishment - breaking some rules, social and otherwise.

Sportbike riders are more performance driven. I like to go fast on a bike that handles well. We are impressed by high performance machinery.
Even the adventure bike and standard/naked bike riders are more conscious of the machinery than trying to fit into a lifestyle.

So yes, the Hardly riders have a unique style and maybe they are numbering ever fewer.

·
Court Jester
11,543 Posts
Going down the road getting bugs in my teeth, nope..

·
Registered
18,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like they are going all out to change their rebel without a clue image. They have an adventure tourer, a streetfighter and their lame ass EV. The Livewire I think misses the mark, at 30 gs and less power then the ZERO SR which is 10 gs less it just isn't competitive. you would think that a bike company that produced twins would focus on torque but it has only 2/3 the torque the ZERO is producing but it is like all HDs a heavy pig! I don't think there adventure tourer or their streetfighter is going to be able to compete with anything Jap or Euro. My guess is it will be over styled, heavy, under powered and over priced. They also have a range on small bikes for foreign markets by the looks of it it is targeting the asian markets like Thailand and Vietnam I'm guessing they will still try to cash in on a name and overprice their scooters, which I am sure will go over well with poor asians who use these as their primary source of income (taxi service, delivery service, courier, etc) many of these small scooters used in these markets are cobbled together into tuk tuks (trike cabs) or delivery vehicles. My prediction is it will fail miserably here as cheap established brands are readily available without the arrogance and pretentions that comes with this antiquated brand. I think in 10 years we will see some mullet wearing douche walking down the street wearing a HD shirt freshly bought from the salvation army and people walking by will be saying hmmmm remember when they used to make bikes. I will say tho that they do make a decent golf cart!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Did you read the blurb for the adventure bike?

“ equal parts campfire, wanderlust, and grit.” :laughing::laughing::laughing:

And it has Brembos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No question a Monster 620 will kill it but I have one that handles, pulls to 7000 rpm and is a blast to ride. Harley does not listen to its own enthusiast. 100 hp Sportsters are easy to build and hold up well.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No question a Monster 620 will kill it but I have one that handles, pulls to 7000 rpm and is a blast to ride. Harley does not listen to its own enthusiast. 100 hp Sportsters are easy to build and hold up well.
your absolutely correct they were called buells!....actually they had about 70 hps, decent torque and are a blast to put around in, Still own my 900 can't kill the damn thing. It's been dropped 5 times now.

·
Registered
18,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven’t we had this discussion 10 times in the last 15 years?
yes but the reality is now they are in serious trouble. I know one guy that works there, he got hired about 6 months ago. He is what i would call a "piece of shit"! He just got his bye bye papers which actually kind of makes me happy. Plus from what is being tossed around there expansion into new markets has just been nixed by their very Amurican Jochen Zietz! Remember during the last recession HD sold off MV and closed down Buell, saying they need to focus on their primary product line. Well they are going back to that same old strategy. I think this time it wont stick.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I saw a noon news item on the EV a while ago. My first thought was why does it have a gas tank... Since you don't need gas, why not make it a really useful shape: easier to hang onto with your knees while cornering? Or rectangular and large enough to fit 12 american shitty beer cans in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
62 year old boomer here. I hope they don't fail as they have such a rich history. I've had a Sportster and now a Softtail and a Multistrada. Certainly, the Multi is light years ahead of the Softail in terms of torque, HP, handling, performance, electronics etc. The Multi is a thrill to ride. Still, the Softail offers a comfortable, smooth no frills fun ride. I agree, HDs are under-engineered, overpriced and the tactic of selling a new bike that needs $000's in performance add-ons is bad business. I can see them trying to move in the right direction with sport bikes and soon an adventure bike. I fear they are too late and/or the bikes will be noncompetitive on performance and price. Hard to figure how the other makes have evolved and Harley has not. The Buell bikes were ahead of their time and the Ulysses may have been the first adventure bike. So sad HD that killed Buell. Even Indian seems way ahead of thme now. Anyway, HD has been lost for years but they are an American success story.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is Indian the same thing as Victory, IE Polaris?
Same ownership yes but much better tactics this time around. Instead of going for the modern cruiser look going balls deep on the history, but applying the modern technology.

Building stuff that looks just like a road king but fancier (chrome trim and whatnot) but a completely new engine design, better fueling, more tech integrated, etc.

But also building stuff like this:

With a fully integrated dash and full IMU (meaning full traction control, slide control, wheelie control) for something like $16k.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts