Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my bike is nearly at the 20k mark and seeing there's a major service on the horizon I thought that while the motor is apart to be inspected I'd look at getting the heads ported to see if there's any gains to be had there.
My 748R's head ports were rough cast and not symmetrical at all so it benefitted greatly from the port work and some fine tuning, and I'm hoping the same might be true for the D16.
I don't have money to throw at it in terms of the GP exhaust set up etc, so I want to work with what I have currently to get the most cost effective benefits to get it as best it can be.
It has the kit Race exhaust and a PC V that's been set up pretty nicely and it's still getting 178 hp at the wheel, but more would be good. Especially chasing the modern 1000's at Phillip Island :)
Any other suggestions while its apart?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can show you pictures D16RR, before and after:

Unfortunately I cannot find pictures/dyno image from mine D16RR.

Can tell you power is up over the whole bandwith, and over 190hp at the wheel with stock silencer, but without cat.

Finetuning was done over OBD, my PC-V is used only for the quick shifter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent thank you, that is very helpful. I will investigate getting the work done soon, along with confirming the cam timing/valve clearances etc are exactly as they should be

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yes, the polishing should be done to improve gas flow versus all the nubbins and casting edges. My understanding is that a bright polish is the wrong finish. After polishing, the surface should be sandblasted. The rough surface improves turbulence and thus fuel-air mixing. This does NOT apply to direct injection systems.

My understanding is that this was discovered by race teams who ported & polished their motors in violation of the rules for whatever class. In order to avoid failing tech, the surface was sandblasted to quasi-mimic the OEM appearance. They dyno'ed the motor before port & polish as well as after. And then again after roughing up the surface finish. The last one showed power GAINS over the polished finish.

Disclaimer: I have no direct personal knowledge of this. I read it in a magazine a few decades ago. IIRC it was an article by Gordon Jennings, but maybe no.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes, the polishing should be done to improve gas flow versus all the nubbins and casting edges. My understanding is that a bright polish is the wrong finish. After polishing, the surface should be sandblasted. The rough surface improves turbulence and thus fuel-air mixing. This does NOT apply to direct injection systems.
As you can see in the pictures, the surface is not polished. Main gains are at the valve seatings.

The valve guides are retracted for the machining of the ports, and later put back to original position. It is not recommended to shorten them to align with the port wall, because they will be to short. (If you want to race and rebuild, obviously this is not a problem to replace parts more often.)

After sandblasting the sand you'll find all over the head. pita to remove all remains. 3D CNC is better, you can machine the ports like required.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Have you considered a Microtec ECU. Your HP reading doesn't sound very high for a D16. I've heard of 172HP out of 1098R's. I would think you would get a fair bit more out of a D16. Having said that I don't know and am just speculating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts