Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Recently i noticed on a hot day in the garage a ton of gas was all over my tank around the cap, i opened the lid and POOF! pressure escapes and more gas shoots everywhere.

I tried keeping the tank half or lower when sitting around and had the same damn thing happen the other day.

Luckily i have been able to catch this quickly after it happened each time and wash it down before it messed the paint up.

Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden?

I am thinking maybe the charcoal canister is blocked up?:kaioken:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Hey Guys,

Recently i noticed on a hot day in the garage a ton of gas was all over my tank around the cap, i opened the lid and POOF! pressure escapes and more gas shoots everywhere.

I tried keeping the tank half or lower when sitting around and had the same damn thing happen the other day.

Luckily i have been able to catch this quickly after it happened each time and wash it down before it messed the paint up.

Any ideas why this is happening all of a sudden?

I am thinking maybe the charcoal canister is blocked up?:kaioken:

Had the same thing happening to my bike. As you know our beloved toys have a tank expansion defect, so when I got my tank replaced it solved the problem.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had the same thing happening to my bike. As you know our beloved toys have a tank expansion defect, so when I got my tank replaced it solved the problem.
I do have a small dent/bubble from internal expansion so that can likely be the issue, ARG!!!!

No other noticeable expansion like a huge bubble or pressing into the frame anywhere but sounds like my days are numbered.

Pretty pissed off a limited edition bike isisnt covered in the recall that happened :(

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a blocked vent. Check your lines to see if they are kinked or pinched off...
When i first noticed this happen the tank was really full and there was gas dripping out of the vent hose in the bottom of the underbelly pan onto the ground. Can it still drip and be partially blocked? There was a good amount coming out at one point.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I do have a small dent/bubble from internal expansion so that can likely be the issue, ARG!!!!

No other noticeable expansion like a huge bubble or pressing into the frame anywhere but sounds like my days are numbered.

Pretty pissed off a limited edition bike isisnt covered in the recall that happened :(

What do you have? My corse was covered

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
When i first noticed this happen the tank was really full and there was gas dripping out of the vent hose in the bottom of the underbelly pan onto the ground. Can it still drip and be partially blocked? There was a good amount coming out at one point.
I wouldn't think so. If fluid can escape, so can air. It's still worth a look tho.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a 5 year warranty on the gas tank from the day of purchase. Although, once replaced it will happen again, just a matter of time
Do you get to keep the old deformed tank or have to trade it for the new one? Sounds like i will be dropping mine off in the next month or so when its too cold to ride to have it replaced under warranty.

I am sure that keeping the gas low and leaving the cap cracked to prevent pressure buildup when storing the bike should extend the life of the new tank...

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Do you get to keep the old deformed tank or have to trade it for the new one? Sounds like i will be dropping mine off in the next month or so when its too cold to ride to have it replaced under warranty.

I am sure that keeping the gas low and leaving the cap cracked to prevent pressure buildup when storing the bike should extend the life of the new tank...
I think it's more of a problem with the ethanol reacting with the plastic than anything else. This problem doesn't happen in Europe...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

At first my dealer took pics (you can take them yourself and send them in) then the pictures were submitted to Ducati USA. Once that's approved Ducati will mail a new tank to your dealer. They will replace it for you and keep the old tank. The process took me about a week, done at FBF

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
I think it's more of a problem with the ethanol reacting with the plastic than anything else. This problem doesn't happen in Europe...
Never an issue with mine premium full of ethanol, but mine is garaged and I fill it up after every ride.

Reactions: vfrman

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Then I think you should count yourself as lucky.
:yo:

my guess is most guys run their tanks low, and or sit outside in the sun. I know I've read that this has nothing to do with it but just like my plastic gas can's that sit in the garage they swell up when they are not full. I'm sure my tank has been affected a couple small blisters in the paint.

Reactions: vfrman

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
my guess is most guys run their tanks low, and or sit outside in the sun. I know I've read that this has nothing to do with it but just like my plastic gas can's that sit in the garage they swell up when they are not full. I'm sure my tank has been affected a couple small blisters in the paint.

Heat definitely had something to do with it

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
One would think that if the tank is designed correctly, it would automatically vent the pressure out (and in the case of US models, through that damned charcoal canister).

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
One would think that if the tank is designed correctly, it would automatically vent the pressure out (and in the case of US models, through that damned charcoal canister).
Good point first thing removed was the canister..
That might have more to do with it...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, i think removing the canister is on my list of things to do this winter then... The bike is always garaged and kept inside during winter so its not an abuse thing.

I agree with your theory on the gas cans expanding in the garage, same thing happens to me. Since you have not had this issue and removed the charcoal can sounds like thats the culprit (among other things like poor design).

·
Court Jester
12,114 Posts
Well, i think removing the canister is on my list of things to do this winter then... The bike is always garaged and kept inside during winter so its not an abuse thing.

I agree with your theory on the gas cans expanding in the garage, same thing happens to me. Since you have not had this issue and removed the charcoal can sounds like thats the culprit (among other things like poor design).
My tank never "burps" "hisses" when open so its venting..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.