Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here ... Just bought my 1098 (Avi pic) and in having a very hard time with the dry clutch, it seems to either always grind or stall when taking off ... Any tips of what can I do? I'm putting in practice around the parking lot but I have to take off really slow ... Is this normal? Or is it jus user error

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmm, looks like an 848. Not sure what the problem could be. More practice? Lightweight flywheel installed?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure, id say might be just the "getting used to it" factor...but I can't day much, all my bikes had wet clutches....I like my pussy wet, just like my clutch ;-)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Fairly new to my 1198 clutch. They are geared pretty high and a bit rough at lower rpm's, but if you hold it at around 2-2.5k and let it out nice and smooth, it should pull away smoothly. Then give it some more after the clutch has engaged.

You can pull away faster, just means you have to slip it more.

If you're getting grinding noises, you might be using too low rpm's, maybe even lugging it a bit, which... is bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fairly new to my 1198 clutch. They are geared pretty high and a bit rough at lower rpm's, but if you hold it at around 2-2.5k and let it out nice and smooth, it should pull away smoothly. Then give it some more after the clutch has engaged.

You can pull away faster, just means you have to slip it more.

If you're getting grinding noises, you might be using too low rpm's, maybe even lugging it a bit, which... is bad.
This might help, I will give this a try tomorrow ... Rev up to 2-2.5k and then star releasing clutch ...

I stalled like 3 times up hill just now, a guy yelled at me "learn how to ride" I've been riding for over 5 years ... Felt like an idiot

·
Registered
979 Posts
yeah even with my slipper clutch you have to give her a bit more than your used to gas then once shes off, hold on. it just takes getting used to, dont fret over it. i also installed a new clutch slave cylinder to help the clutch pull which made a world of difference.

i am using a yoyodyne clutch slave, was about 200 bucks installed i think
also make sur eyour clutch fluid isnt dark...

-Carbon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah even with my slipper clutch you have to give her a bit more than your used to gas then once shes off, hold on. it just takes getting used to, dont fret over it. i also installed a new clutch slave cylinder to help the clutch pull which made a world of difference.

i am using a yoyodyne clutch slave, was about 200 bucks installed i think
also make sur eyour clutch fluid isnt dark...

-Carbon
It's a dry clutch ... I don't think it has any fluids lol

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
OP, from your avatar pic it looks like an 848 with dry clutch with the 1098 sticker, plus 1098 didn't come pearl white, only 1198. Well, because only 848 comes with gray frame with black belly pan and front fender..--explaining why some asked you to check your clutch fluid.
The dry clutch or ducati clutch are known for hating low RPM, you could easily stall it at low speed if not giving it enough gas...give it gas a little bit more.
BTW, changing your clutch slave will give it a lighter clutch pull.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's more abusive on the engine to lug it than to over rev it, so just look at the clutch as the cheapest, easiest to fix thing on the bike and slip it as much as you need to keep from lugging/stalling the expensive, difficult to repair engine. Protect the motor!

They're made to slip as they engage and as long as you're not trying to do high power launches (which you're not) you won't burn it up any time soon.

Taking off uphill on one can be tricky til you get used to the throttle control and clutch engagement, so don't be too hard on yourself. They're torquey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP, from your avatar pic it looks like an 848 with dry clutch with the 1098 sticker, plus 1098 didn't come pearl white, only 1198. Well, because only 848 comes with gray frame with black belly pan and front fender..--explaining why some asked you to check your clutch fluid.
The dry clutch or ducati clutch are known for hating low RPM, you could easily stall it at low speed if not giving it enough gas...give it gas a little bit more.
BTW, changing your clutch slave will give it a lighter clutch pull.
Man U guys had me scared, I just ran a Vin check, comes out clean 1098 S ... The 1st owner was a carbon fiber freak which explain a lot of the custom work to the bike

Guys please I'm here to learn, I know as much about ducatis as I know about females birth cycles, and it's not a whole lot ... Anything to make my ride smoother I appreciate it

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
^^^cool beans then..lol...just looking out for you.
Like I said, first flush your clutch's fluid (lever that is)
Then if it's not working out, look into an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder, I believe they run for around $130-up on ca-cycleworks or motowheels, or other vendors on here.
Keep the low speed above 3k rpm and you won't have the stalling problems. Twins are torque-y as hell.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^cool beans then..lol...just looking out for you.
Like I said, first flush your clutch's fluid (lever that is)
Then if it's not working out, look into an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder, I believe they run for around $130-up on ca-cycleworks or motowheels, or other vendors on here.
Keep the low speed above 3k rpm and you won't have the stalling problems. Twins are torque-y as hell.
Cheers
What's the clutch slave cylinder? And how will this help if u don't mind ...

I stalled again 3 times this morning ... Very upsetting

1 - 15 of 15 Posts