Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm a motorcycle / Ducati newbie and have recently purchased an '08 848 as my first bike. (probably not ideal but brought it with my heart not my head :))

White with carbon mud guard / hugger and Ducati performance screen. Other than that I'm pretty sure she's standard.

I'm afraid I must start with what is probably a stupid question but I did not discover the answer with the search function.

I suspect the bike has been laid down on the left side at some point due to evidence such as small marks, handle bar end cap missing, new clutch lever etc
The gear lever is fowling on the belly pan when selecting 1st / down changing and removing the paint. I have fitted a new gear lever (original) expecting this to be bent but it has made no diffrence.

My question is: What is most likely causing the fowling? Could it be the triangular bracket / foot peg mount it bolts to or am I missing something simple? I dare say I could bend the new lever a little but I begrudge bending a brand new part.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The lever shouldn't hit the belly pan at all. Unless you switch to gp shift but that's another topic. How's the adjustment of the lever when your riding. Maybe the shift linkage needs to be shortened up to bring the shifter higher and away from the lower. The stock bar ends will rattle out so that's not really a sign of a fall. But the frame tabs that hold the rearsets on are very weak and will bend with little force so it could have tipped over and these are bent making the shifter aim towards the lower and not straight down. Any pictures would help but it does sound like the frame tabs are bent. Also are you sure the belly pan is out on right? Check the tabs for cracking in the paint and also the rearsets. Another place to look would be the steering stops by the lower triple in a fall they usually get bent and the paint chipped off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dukaki848
Thanks for a swift response! I got involved last night and found that the lower left fairing bracket had been manipulated at some point. I also found a 5mm gap in the two halves of the belly pan which was not correct.

A small tweek to the bracket of circa 5mm sorted the bally pan gap and also move the fairing over slightly so the gear lever no longer fowls.

I can now resort to staring at it in the garage while the weather continues to pour down over Christmas and look forward to sunnier days! :)

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Always nice when something is a quick fix. If you can't return the lever you can easily sell it in the fs section. There's always guys buying them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts