Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gear selector lever now feels like a dead fish -- no springiness.
I'm guessing the spring inside the gearbox has broken or somehow worked loose.
I was just out giving the bike a run and flicking through the gears and then found it hard to get it back into first, with the lever all loose.
I can still find neutral and get it into second and third and down again to neutral. It goes back into second from neutral with a nasty clunk.
Managed to get the bike home and I'll take it to the workshop next week. Hopefully it won't be costly to repair.
Anyone else suffered a gear selector malfunction? Was it relatively simple to fix?
Chz

·
Registered
463 Posts
Fogs, look at the parts manual for the engine, page number 20. Item number 21 is the return spring. It sure looks like you can remove six screws, #28 & #29, to get the cover off to access the shift mechanism to change that spring.

The transmission is a cassette style transmission, which means that after you remove the counter-shaft sprocket, the whole mess pulls out the opposite side of the bike without otherwise disturbing the crankcase. See the diagram on page 22. The housing into which the gear shafts fit is part number one on page 20.

The primary intent of this style of gearbox is to facilitate fast changes of gear ratios (the entire gear-set) at the track. I hope this isn't too late to give you some piece of mind.

My warranty is well-expired. If I were in your situation I would most certainly make the repair myself. Worst case, you take the transmission parts to the dealer (in a plastic bin) and have them reassemble it, then take it back home an re-install it yourself.

The Engine Service Manual, page 118, states, "It is possible to remove gear control lever-and-cover assembly both with removable gearbox installed in the crankcases and with the same removed.
When removable gearbox is installed in the crankcases, loosen gear control cover (26) retaining screws
(28) and (29) and remove cover together with its seal (27). If gear control cover is removed when
gearbox is no longer installed in the crankcases, simply remove the three screws (29) only.
[photo]
Remove gear change lever assembly (19) with drum inertia stop plate (23).
[photo]
Remove washer (20) to disassemble the gear change lever assembly (19).
[photo]
Remove spring (21)."

Et cetera.

Frankly, I cannot imagine an experienced mechanic spending a whole hour on the return spring replacement, even including removing & re-installing the bodywork.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Top advice Apollo 2...!

Just what these forums are for.....
Totally agree! Thanks Apollo. I've copied your note and sent it to the Ducati service manager.
They have some good mechanics at Ducati Singapore, so it should be a simple job for them. But I think this will be the first time they've had to do this on a Desmo, so all advice/guidance is very welcome.

Chz

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Postscript. It was the gear selector spring that was broken. All good now. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the part to arrive. The spring cost SGD$126, or about USD$93.
While I was there, I had the new tail-light fitted (with a 20 pct dealer discount it still cost USD$360). Luckily the old one is repairable, with only one of the plastic lugs cracked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.