Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up...my gear sensor failed and as it turns out it has happened for 4 or 5 other Pani owners on other forums, but my dealer (in Toronto) and Ducati HQ was not aware of it being a problem with other owners.

Essentially the gear sensor didn't work for the first 10 mins of riding which had knock on effects:

1) Quick shifter didn't work
2) Power surges when the gear sensor started working again but would mistake what gear I was actually in.
3) Can't start the bike in neutral and leave it on the stand to warm up, as putting the kick stand down cut the engine because the gear sensor was not able to indicate neutral. I could only start the bike by finding neutral the old fashioned way and then sitting on the bike to warm it up - bit of a pain ;)

The fix was a new gear sensor and an hour in the shop under warranty. No biggie. My dealer had no clue about it, but as I found the answer on one of the other forums he just put in the order for a new gear sensor and started with that before going on a troubleshooting electronic fault hunt.

The signs are a dash in the gear indicator location, a "gear indicator" red warning box appears on the dash, and the yellow engine light comes on to the right of the dash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same issue. Took the bike into the dealer service and they suggest it's my after rearsets (Lightech, exact same sets Alstra SBK team is using). Now that i put the stock rearsets back on, time for another trip to the dealership.

·
Registered
726 Posts
-- i seem to have a somewhat similar issue....intermittent problem, cannot get green neutral light, or N to appear on screen - i'll get a 1-2-N......1-N-2.... rapidly appearing, like flashing bye...repeatedly..sometimes it just goes to N easily....most of the time it doesn't.....its random and intermittent - with motor running, stopped at a light, 1 in gear indicator clutch fully out :)

-- reminds me of my 916....i pulled in to a gas station, straight up to the pump, turned the ignition key to off, and removed it to open the gas cap.....as i reached for the gas nozzle, i heard something odd, something strange....i couldn't place it exactly.....then i realized.......the motor was still running....ignition key in the gas cap :confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-- i seem to have a somewhat similar issue....intermittent problem, cannot get green neutral light, or N to appear on screen - i'll get a 1-2-N......1-N-2.... rapidly appearing, like flashing bye...repeatedly..sometimes it just goes to N easily....most of the time it doesn't.....its random and intermittent - with motor running, stopped at a light, 1 in gear indicator clutch fully out :)

-- reminds me of my 916....i pulled in to a gas station, straight up to the pump, turned the ignition key to off, and removed it to open the gas cap.....as i reached for the gas nozzle, i heard something odd, something strange....i couldn't place it exactly.....then i realized.......the motor was still running....ignition key in the gas cap :confused:
That inability to find the right gear and seemingly jumping through the gears despite you not changing the gears is what would happen to me when it would start working again after not having worked for the first 10 mins of riding.

It would often do that for another couple minutes until it finally started working again.

While going up and down the numbers trying to find the gear it would often cause serging as mapping is different at certain throttle positions at different gears.

·
Registered
726 Posts
-- i never noticed any surging relating to that specifically - my 1199r has plenty of low end surging 4 to 6k rpms......i haven't noticed if the gear indicator is flashing different numbers (i do not believe it is) - i attribute the surging (it has done it since day 1 of ownership) to fueling (air/fuel) and i've never done anything about it other avoid those rpm's (sometimes a bit of a challenge when riding with traffic) - there has been no information posted as to wether a Power Commander would help this out (given the race exhaust and mapping/ecu already installed)....so i simply avoid the rpm zone as best i can

-- recently the surging has gotten a tad more invasive....which i'm thinking might be aggravated by a, probably dirty, air filter.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-- i never noticed any surging relating to that specifically - my 1199r has plenty of low end surging 4 to 6k rpms......i haven't noticed if the gear indicator is flashing different numbers (i do not believe it is) - i attribute the surging (it has done it since day 1 of ownership) to fueling (air/fuel) and i've never done anything about it other avoid those rpm's (sometimes a bit of a challenge when riding with traffic) - there has been no information posted as to wether a Power Commander would help this out (given the race exhaust and mapping/ecu already installed)....so i simply avoid the rpm zone as best i can

-- recently the surging has gotten a tad more invasive....which i'm thinking might be aggravated by a, probably dirty, air filter.....
My S also used to surge in 2nd gear around 4 to 5k rpm....until i unhooked the butterfly valve (for noise regulations). Now the sound and power is constant at that RPM and no longer prone to sputtering or surging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am experiencing the exact same issue. Took the bike into the dealer service and they suggest it's my after rearsets (Lightech, exact same sets Alstra SBK team is using). Now that i put the stock rearsets back on, time for another trip to the dealership.
How do you like your rear sets and how do they very from stock? Up back ect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the Lightech Rearsets are great. approx. up 0.5, 1", back about 0.5, 1, 1.5" depending on position. Not the widest range of adjustment, but seems to work. I am 5'6" with short legs, wish it was up 2".

Quality and fit is top notch. I didn't realize how good the Lightech looks until i put the stock set back on, have to make a trip to the dealer to get damn gear issue fixed.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Anybody have an OEM part # for the gear sensor switch?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
In the event anyone is having this issue, the part is called the 'gear box position sensor'.

The OEM part # is 55241612C.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gear Position Teaching

While the sensor can fail, it is more likely that the GPS just needs to be relearned. When the cases grow from engine heat, the sensor starts to lose its position. Have the dealer warm the engine up so it is 220 with the fans on and the cases fully heat soaked, and re teach the gear position sensor. In most cases I have heard about, this is the permanent fix. From what I am told, warranty will pay to do this, Ducati is aware according to my contact and this is the recommended fix

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
While the sensor can fail, it is more likely that the GPS just needs to be relearned. When the cases grow from engine heat, the sensor starts to lose its position. Have the dealer warm the engine up so it is 220 with the fans on and the cases fully heat soaked, and re teach the gear position sensor. In most cases I have heard about, this is the permanent fix. From what I am told, warranty will pay to do this, Ducati is aware according to my contact and this is the recommended fix
My dealership would have trouble making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..

Unless their making money on the transaction, they ain't fixing or adjusting jack.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have this issue, when the engine is cold, less than 92C the gear sensor works well. After the engine has passed that temp, and is heat soaked then the gear sensor gets progressively worse, especially over 8K revs, On a track day you get the first session working well and by lunchtime the bike is like a bucking bronco not knowing which gear it is in. I had heard from a Ducati tech that you have to set the gear sensor when the engine is hottest to fix this. Hope to try it this week and report back. Thanks Thor for the confirmation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When the GPS fails, a "Gear Sensor" warning, along with an EOBD indication, are displayed on the dash pad. EBC and DQS turn off and a flashing dash appears in the gear window. If the sensor fails during vehicle operation the bike will continue to run, but fueling will be suboptimal as the ECU is unable to determine which gear has been selected. Upshifts will have to be performed manually. If the GPS fails when the bike is keyed "ON," the side stand will have to be raised and the clutch lever depressed in order to start the bike. Again, this is because the bike doesn't know what gear has been selected.

If the GPS is okay, but only needs to relearn the gears, Ducati's "Tips and Tricks Bulletin SRV-TTB-16-003" outlines the procedure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When my bike warms up it does this, but the gear sensor and EOBD light doesn't come on. All the other symptoms do. Is that the sensor or just a re learn?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts