Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and several other people have had gloves fail from / during low side crashes. In my case I had a pair of Rev'it Sellar gloves that opened up on two seams along the pointer finger. My friend had a pair of Helds that had the thumb stitching blow out. So yes the gloves protected us once, but I don't think 200 gloves should be disposable.

Who has crashed and had gloves survive? brand and model please.

·
Banned
133 Posts
After a crash against a guard rail I can personally vouch for Held Phantom (I did brake a finger though). Four years later I'm still wearing the same gloves from the crash, and I will never another brand. The newer models are Phantom 2, and the Titan.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
There are a number of factors to the design of high quality leathers. The stitching pattern and material, leather thickness and reinforcement of high risk areas to name a few. The top rated leather manufacturers (Dainese, Spyke, Kushitani, Alpinestar etc.) have been in business for many years and see the many ways that their products get damaged. This allows them to analyze returned products and then modify their designs to achieve the best protection and comfort of the rider.

So when you buy leathers from an relatively unknown such as Rev'it, you can only hope that they have copied the best products and used the best materials. Chances are however, they have just styled their product and done minimal testing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shazaam, all good points about design and manufacturing, but a large marketing budget doesn't mean they have a large testing budget either.

So what gloves have you put to the test?

·
Registered
872 Posts
roadracing world magazine use to do glove reviews from racer, you might check if they still do the reviews.

·
Registered
45 Posts
+1 on the Held Titan. A word of caution. The stingray on these gloves is very abrasive. I reached across my tank to start my bike and the stingray put a pretty deep scratch in the paint. (on my R6, not my Ducati)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Fortunately I haven't had to go down yet. But when I do I'll give y'all a review on the Dianese Full Metal Pro(got a wicked deal on them as a close out)

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Alpinestars GP Tech has held up well. But high dollar. Been down on track several times with them and they are still together. I did keep the finger bridge. I hear others cut them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Old post but wanted to comment:
I just want to be clear that you are complaining that some gloves came apart after a crash right? No injuries? Your medical cost on a hand injury could buy a new bike.
Helmets are upwards of $1,000 and if you tap it on the ground it should be replaced and you should be happy you aren't hurt.
Were the gloves the right size? Taken care of? Broken in and leather treated properly?
I've owned 3 A stars, Dianese Carbons, Joe Rocket... All with no problems.
My new A star GP techs are amazing and the build quality the highest I have seen. They should cost as much as they do. Find them on sale. Treat them right and they will last.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
your missing the point, I am not satisfied with the build quality of the Rev'it gloves I had for the price I paid, they didn't hold up to the intended use. I am glad you had good results with A stairs etc, that is the point of this thread what gear have people used that DID hold up to a crash.

·
Court Jester
11,688 Posts
Revit seems over priced every time I look.

Gloves get a lot of use. I get mine (and boots) local at cycle gear their top brand comes with life time replacement ( not normal wear). I've had to take two pairs of boots back after a season of use and one pair of gloves.

My accident wasn't bad but the gear still worked great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts