Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got trouble going in to N on red ligh stops, got to hold clutch, I tried play with throtle and relese clutch a bit but no luck. It got from 1 to 2, and then from 2 to 1 gear.

Brand new bike tho.

Is it normal?

Any tips?

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1, it will get better.

During the early miles (km) as things break in, you will probably have better luck finding neutral just before coming to a complete stop.

That said, its really much better practice to be in first anytime you're stopped on the road. Much easier to get out of any potential trouble when you're already in gear...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah I agree with DucRider, I hit neutral just before a stop with no real issues. It seems a bit trickier finding neutral when stopped, not sure if its a Ducati thing since this is my first Ducati.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is normal had same issue on my 696 when I first got it and had the same deal on 821 it gets better no worries

·
Registered
46 Posts
This was normal for me also. It gets better as you put more mileage on your bike. I had same issue on both my MTS GT and M821.

Before it got better what i do on a stop light was just kill the engine at 1st gear with the kill switch. Just restart the bike when light turns green. this saves my thighs from the heat of the engine when on idle. Still hot even if they are liquid cooled already

·
Registered
29 Posts
my 1098 SF will pop into N without the light turning on too, definitely try before a complete stop, or get a feel of it at stop with time and practice...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Eventually you'll get a feel for clicking into neutral from 2nd, finding it from 1st is a true skill, worthy of a contest. There's also that other neutral between 5th and 6th, always a surprise, and sometimes scary. When riding Il Mostro, keep a light touch when trying to find neutral, but be firm with the lever when shifting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good purpose-built footwear also helps in shifting decisively and severely limiting if not eliminating false neutrals.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was normal for me also. It gets better as you put more mileage on your bike. I had same issue on both my MTS GT and M821.

Before it got better what i do on a stop light was just kill the engine at 1st gear with the kill switch. Just restart the bike when light turns green. this saves my thighs from the heat of the engine when on idle. Still hot even if they are liquid cooled already
yeh acctually i am amazed how hot it gets.

Im in thailand and itd like +32C here, pretty hot, and then you stop on red and it get hot almost to the unberable point when its burns me through the jins, but still can hold it for few min :D

The water temp on red lights shows like +104C

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just got 210km on clock, managed hit N few times :) Easier from 2nd to N, got to step on it really gently like a touch and it goes N

well Still breaking in...

Nice ride, just had a go on Sport first time, not too fast as breaking in, but yeah it bit different then urban :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeh acctually i am amazed how hot it gets.

Im in thailand and itd like +32C here, pretty hot, and then you stop on red and it get hot almost to the unberable point when its burns me through the jins, but still can hold it for few min :D

The water temp on red lights shows like +104C
Im from the Philippines hostile and average temp is also the same as yours. I know what you mean

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got problem with going to N when or red lights, cant do it and got to hold clutch

any tips? or mine faulty?
I just posted this on another thread here...

My M821 was also very difficult to get into neutral for the first few weeks / 500 miles. I thought something was really wrong with it as well.

During the early stages when I was having trouble I found that if I were to let off the brake (at a complete stop) and let the bike roll forward a few inches at the same time I was trying to shift into neutral it usually went in pretty well.

I would also suggest that it takes about 4,000-5,000 miles in total before this bike is "fully" broken in and feeling like an absolute dream :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ride a M1200 here; seems they all do this. Simply roll the bike just a tad forward while holding in the clutch at the light and shifting up into N from 1st. It will click right in.

You must be rolling the bike forward ever so slightly to get it into neutral with the motor running.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts