Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
You're now using a diesel specific oil in your Multi?

Is there a good reason or are you just a tight arse?

I read that you are on your 4th Ducati, did you run the diesel oil in those too?

How often are you changing it and why do you feel a high sulphur, high detergent oil would benifit your Multi?

What grade are you using? 5/40 , 10/30 , 10/40 ?

I know our dry clutch bikes sound like diesels...

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
338 Posts

I read that you are on your 4th Ducati, did you run the diesel oil in those too?

How often are you changing it and why do you feel a high sulphur, high detergent oil would benifit your Multi?

Rotella T6 -- got JASO cert

Was using mobil 1 4T racing.. shifting better as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Changed every 3K
5-40.
Mine's a wet clutch.

From the Calsci web site- "Three synthetics stand out from the rest: Mobil Delvac 1, Mobil-1 SUV and Shell Rotella T Synthetic. These are C certified industrial oils meant to be purchased in 55 gallon drums and used by companies which run a lot of diesel engines. The Commercial oils, as discussed above, have more expensive additive packages which are meant to prolong engine life and oil life, as opposed to being cheap to buy at Pep Boys and helping the car companies meet their CAFE requirements. These oils meet all the automobile requirements through SJ, and also have extra additives to help pick up gunk in the engine, to keep the oil from becoming acidic, and to maintain the oil's viscosity over a long time. In fact, the manufacturers talk about their oil's viscosity resistance to shear forces - exactly what a motorcycle needs."

"ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines) extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus."

·
Registered
82 Posts
For what it's worth . . . . I've been running the Rotella in my track bikes for a few years.

I had my 848 in the shop for the 7500mi service and the shop (who builds blueprinted race engines) asked what oil I usually run. I was expecting to be scorned when I told him "Shell Rotella T6", but he said . . . oK, good . . . lots of our trackday guys are running that!

Reactions: Tchase

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
I don't trust mobile one anyway. Every single car I've used it in, has had issues.

Rotella has all the right stuff and it's way cheaper.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Doesn't suppose that we need to put full synthetic oil on our bikes?

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I'll stick with Motul 300V for $55.00 a gallon.

If I can afford a $15,000+ Ducati, then I should be able to buy a gallon of any oil on the market...regardless the price.

It's like someone buying a Porsche and then complaining about having to put premium unleaded in the fuel tank.

·
Court Jester
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
Its one thing is Mobile 1 worked… it just doesn't. I switched over to BMW oil (castrol), same viscosity and the car runs so much better. How could it RUN BETTER?!!?! Its just oil! But yea, its the same experience I've had with Motul vs other oil's in my motorcycles. I've given up trying anything else because Motul 300V 10W40 just works better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Tchase for the money it's a bit pricey, but Amsoil makes a vtwin oil I would highly recommend. Don't know if they sell it in your area, but you can have a case shipped to your door.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts