Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say hello and thanks to all the members here. After a being out of the motorcycle world for more than a few years, I had been searching for an RC51(my dream bike, back in the day) to fill the 2 wheeled void in my life. The wife and I were lucky enough to go to Italy for a few weeks earlier this year and took a tour of the Ducati factory while in Bologna. That's where the infection started. Although I was quite smitten with Ducati when I returned, I still remember hearing horror stories about Italian bikes.
After combing through the forum(the 848 section in particular), it is you; the owners, weekend warriors, and die-hard Ducati purist that swayed me to the dark side. When a 2008 848 was traded in at my local dealer, they called me in to take a look at her and it was love at first sight. After ditching the rear seat and pegs, I read all the great reviews here about the Competition Werkes fender eliminator with turn signal relocation into the vents. A wonderful cosmetic and functional upgrade that makes the Arrow slip-ons look as great as they sound. I also got rid of the mirror extenders to bring the front profile back to its gorgeous stock form.
I'll admit, coming from Honda(Superhawk) and Yamaha(R6), I has some doubts that this motorcycle would leave much of an impression on me. Let me tell you, I LOVE THIS BIKE. My only regret is not getting one sooner. Without the testimonials of you guys, I may have never made the leap to Ducati. I'm certainly glad that I did and only hope that everyone here truly gets as much enjoyment out of their Duc's as I have out of mine these last few months. Keep on riding and keep on typing!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Glad you got off those Japanese bikes. :D

There is absolutely something special about the Italian Stallion's, from there unique beauty to how they ride. It's hard to convince someone to buy a Ducati, heck even ride one! Those who make the switch, rarely go back to Japanese bikes… many of them even explore other European brands as well!

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Welcome to the fold!!

I've owned every generation of GSXR up to 2006 and still own an 86 Limited 750, 89 Limited 750, a 2004 600 and an 89 FZR 400 Euro but haven't ridden any of them since I bought my 848. As Tuned has already mentioned, there is something special about the experience on a Ducati. I've ridden an RC-51 and very much enjoyed it's v-twin but there's something about the Ducati that ignites all the senses at once when you hit the go button and toss a leg over her haunches!!

My three Gixxers mileage combined is the same as my 848's at 91,000K. My 89 FZR 400 has 78,000K on it. I can't go back to Japanese bikes......they have no soul!!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I had a bunch of the usual Japaneese suspects, GSXR, CBR...

I will say the best one I owned was a 2003 RC51. An amazing bike with heavenly brakes and an incredible V-twin with harmonious gear driven cams...with a set of aftermarket pipes, they sound awesome.

After that I went thru 3 MV Agustas, which was my introduction to Italian motorcycles. I had 2 F4 1000's and a Brutale.

The MV F4's were awesome. The brutale I could not jive with. I had that bike for 300 miles. Went to trade it in on a Ducati Streetfighter. Test rode the SF, and I didnt feel it....

The Ducati sales manager asked if I wanted to test ride a 'real' bike when I got back from the Streetfighter test ride. I said, sure..I guess.

He tossed me the keys to his personal demo, an 848 Corse...

I knew in the first 200 yards, I was buying that bike!!! It hit every desire, made my balls tingle, made me 4 inches taller and suddenly my bank account was overflowing. Chicks were lining up to get to know me. Brad Pitt was asking for my autograph....

I had a straight up 2 year love afair with that bike. I would sit in my garage at night and drink beer and talk to her. Her name was Octavia, my Italian princess. She and I made love on the street and danced like we were on 'Dancing with the Stars' while on the track. She was perfect. I was smitten. She was mine, I was hers.

Then, like a fool, I let my friends on Japaneese bikes tell me I needed more power...my bike was too slow...

Then the worst thing happened. I traded Octavia in....

She was the best bike Ive ever owned. Hands down.

I miss her terribly.

·
Court Jester
12,076 Posts
Welcome aboard! The thing you will find is owning one is a lot like a relationship. It takes work but the reward is so worth it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts