Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI EVERYBODY
so, at the end, me and my Father did it... it has been a little more difficult that expected, but, at the end, is not that bad.

what is really worse than expected, where the Baffles... i didn't expect to find such a system of flowing fumes in the can for noise abating:

The blue circle is the Cat Converter, and the arrows... the Exhaust Flow... i can;t bhelieve that the engine has to breathe thru those things!

LETS GET STARTED

TOOLS
You just need a Drill, a Dremel with many (a lot) metal cutting wheels, and something to do leverage like a Flat Screw Driver.

1) Drill Out the Rivets around the Cap at the end of the Cans, and push down the ring that holds the end of the SlipOn like this:

2) try to pull out the cap, use a screw driver or something similar to help pulling out the cap... actually is not a cap, the cap is welded to an internal can that goes inside almost all the way to the SlipOn

If you look from the back of the extracted can, you can see the damn Baffles:

Unfortunatelly there is no other way to remove them other than cut away the can from the cap

3) With the Dremel and the Cutting wheels, cut around the can near the cap

The cap has a little tube... too little, so you have to remove it

4) cut the metal around the base of the little tube of the cap so there will be just the hole visible from the outside and nothing else as obstacle to the exhaust flow

and this is how the cap looks from the inside:

5) take away the insulation from inside the can otherwise you will blow it in the face of somebody while running:

I decided to leave the Cat converter

6) Try to fix the metal of the can to make it more straight possible before putting back the cap

Even if it's not perfect, is not big deal, the ring around the cap will cover eventual damages to the can metal

7) push the ring back in place

Now the choice is yours... you can put new rivets... i decided to put screws, they hold tighter...

the sound is awesome, as you can hear from the Video Clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ikmVfNngY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcZ5NE2Fa8

I think this is a really nice way to save $2k for Termignoni... if any of you needs help doing the job... PM me and we may work something out...
REGARDS

· Registered
2,469 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the pics and write up. My only concern would be that you might be running a bit lean now. Are you running the stock ECU? Also the ends look to open for my taste(one point in your video looks like a proctology exam), if it were me I think I would have just removed the cats and left the baffles, the cats get very hot. If you live in a warm climate you'll see(feel) what I mean. But hey, half the fun is experimenting right.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,
the bike has 19miles right now so... no, i'm still running with the stock ECU, and also the stupid Exhaust valve of which i will get rid of later on.
For now, i will do the first trackdays like this (this bike is only for racetrack use), after some hundred miles, i will buy the AirFilter Kit with the Ducati Performance ECU and i will get rid of the Exhaust valve.
The Cat Converters are so little that i don't think is such a big deal compared to the Baffles... look at the pictures with the arrows... there is no such thing as a Cat that can make it worse than those Baffles, and plus... i don't mind avoiding some pollution
Anyway, driving it like this is a total different story... simply awesome
REGARDS

· Registered
9 Posts
I've been reading your thread and decided to give it a try!

tooks some pics of the works:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23126&l=fbc09&id=529449341

Sound is much better indeed. Not exagerated, just a deeper growl.

Did a few things different though:
1) I only moved the exterior bracket about 1cm (was scared to make scratches)
2)I didn't have to bend the outside cannister like CrazySte. instead I put some ductape on a flat screwdriver en hammerd slightly on the slipon until it was 2cms out, then just pulled the hole thing out (not any deformation on outside cannister)
3)I left the tube on the cap. this keeps the look of a stock pipe and makes enough sound anyways. (I didn't like the open look of your pipes)
DO MIND ==> the remaining rivets can't get out because there is no opening.
solved this:
there's 1 hole (the one on the side of the bracket where both cannisters are attached too) which is not used to put a rivet in. I drilled this hole a little bigger and used a magnet to pull the remainings of the rivets out.
4) I was planning on leaving insulation => bad plan, after only running it for 3 minutes it was already spewing white stuff all over, looked like there was a chicken trapped inside. so i got rid of insulation anyway :)

very happy with the result, took me about 3 hours

thanks for the tip!!!

· Registered
1,431 Posts
I was just wondering has there been any negative effects from when you guys removed the baffels from your stock cans? I'm thinking of doing it to my base 1098 next weekend. And if you know if it will void the warrinty? I'm getting the full termi system in about a month but I can't stand it anymore, I need the noise. Thanks for the great write up.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Instead of pulling out all of the baffling, I opened them up from the non exit side and cut out the catalytic converters instead. When done this way, there is a portion of the exhaust gasses that is routed throught the baffling but also a portion that exits out almost directly. With a flashlight there is a small opening straight through. The cats are much much more restrictive than the baffling and there is no cutting involved. This cut down on the heat built up in the exhaust by a huge amount and it sounds much much deeper and throatier. I noticed no fueling problems whatsoever and in fact I think the bike revs quicker and responds more crisply to throttle inputs.

· Registered
1,100 Posts
Overall I would say it was easier to do this way, the rivets that you replace are almolst all hidden and it involves only the difficulty of having to pound out the catalytic converters.

· Registered
9 Posts
did a trackday with them, everyone who was riding behind me was talking about the sound so i'm very pleased with it, however I noticed my cans are changing colors to gold (like the other tubing of the exhaust)
also the left one is changing more than the right one...

BTW @ night you can see theconverters glow heavy red trough the exhaust exit... deffo cool sight :)

@Cblast: your solution seems better, whish I would have know before :(

I can buy a couple of dark 1098S cans, might be doing that to those...

· Premium Member
2,750 Posts

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Hey Helton,
Crazy ste is my son...we worked together on getting rid of the buffles from his 848 pipes...the Cats were impossible to get rid of...they are welded at the bottom of the pipes on the opposite side of the exhaust exits (i don;t know if I am giving the idea). To tell you the truth the pipes are soooo loud the way they are that if we would have eliminated the cats they would probably be way too loud; so for now they will stay where they are...later we will see.
Ciao

· Premium Member
2,750 Posts
more cats

Hey Elton,
The Cats were impossible to get rid of, they are welded at the bottom of the pipes on the opposite side of the exhaust exits. To tell you the truth the pipes are soooo loud the way they are that if we would have eliminated the cats they would probably be way too loud; so for now they will stay where they are...later we will see.
alfredo,

Got it! Thanks.

Elton

· Registered
1,937 Posts
Hey Elton,
after talking to Vincent earlier today I learned my Desmosedici is on time and will probably be delivered with no delays by June 15th....that means another trip up there to pick it up...about lunch, on me!

· Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Sedici pick up

My Desmosedici will be delivered June 15th....that means another trip up there to pick it up...about lunch, on me!
alfredo,

Sounds great. June 15th is a Sunday. (Father's day!) Have you made arrangements with Vince to pick up your bike on Sunday or are you coming the 14th? Let me know the date and I'll clear my calendar.

See you soon.

Elton

· Registered
1,937 Posts
I will let you know the precise date as soon as Vincent will communicate it to me. Look forward in meeting you; I will come up there with my son and a friend who just purchased a 1098r ( Giosue' Coppola is his name )

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.