Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the bike torn apart and while doing so I decided to check the exhaust and intake ports. And on the Valves I have a good gunk build up on them. Not sure what from, but any recommendations on what to do, as adding fuel additives or anything? 7200 miles on it

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've heard Techron is a good fuel additive to help reduce/oxidize carbon build. I'm running in in my 1198 w/race ecu, i.e. no lambda sensor and it does run rich. Don't know if its really effective as I've never peered down throttle bodies? Carbon will tend to build up more on the intake valve stems because they run colder and unburnt fuel condenses there. The biggest problem it can cause is increased compression as the carbon displaces non-swept air volume within the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am unsure what is normal and what isn't for these bikes. I seen the build up and not going to lie panicked a little. And didn't know if something was wrong or not. But figure I ask, and see what additives are good to use on a twin motor.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
A lot of time gunk builds up due to short rides where the engine doesn't get up to temp and that stuff isn't able to clear out. It happens on all engines of any kind. Sometime's the old adage; ride it like you stole it, is good for things like engine cleanliness.

It's certainly not a Ducati thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.