Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd take that cap off before beginning the process. You don't want that crap getting into the tank and fuel lines.

Try spraying it with petroleum-based lube, then rubbing gently with a little scotch bright.

Might be toast already though, replacing the gas cap could be your best bet -

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, might just replace it... can you buy just the part underneath or do you have to replace the whole thing?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
WOW yea, if that's rusty, there is absolutely going to be problems in other places. :eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wonder what the rest of the tank looks like?[/QUOTE]

This was my first thought. A small inspection mirror works good for looking inside the tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to purchase it by piece Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche - Ducati Parts

Wonder what the rest of the tank looks like, did it sit for a while in storage or without fuel?
You guys have got me a little stressed suddenly...
Visually i cant see any rust anywhere else, the bike has never been in storage but i have owned it since new and have only done 7k in 10 years. That could have caused it i'm guessing.

I hope the inside of the tank isn't the same :(

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
7K in 10yrs is tantamount to storage for a vehicle. They liked to be "massaged" frequently to keep everything moist and lubed. You might only have some rust around the cap and possibly sealing rim but you could have some flakes of rust in the tank that end up going through the pump and clogging injectors.

What bike is this on??

We had a 748 in our shop that had the same rust on the cap and we took it all apart and there was a bit on the filter.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7K in 10yrs is tantamount to storage for a vehicle. They liked to be "massaged" frequently to keep everything moist and lubed. You might only have some rust around the cap and possibly sealing rim but you could have some flakes of rust in the tank that end up going through the pump and clogging injectors.

What bike is this on??

We had a 748 in our shop that had the same rust on the cap and we took it all apart and there was a bit on the filter.
Thanks for that, its a 998s final edition.

Ive started it every 2 weeks and let her warm up since i had her (even when she was in the lounge room) to my wife's discust :rlwhore:

Ill get a mirror and check out the inside of the tank, change the filter etc and hope for the best.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
I had a 998S FE, a gr8 bike... wish I still had mine!!! Easy fix to get back on the road, luckily it is winter!!!

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Thanks for that, its a 998s final edition.

Ive started it every 2 weeks and let her warm up since i had her (even when she was in the lounge room) to my wife's discust :rlwhore:

Ill get a mirror and check out the inside of the tank, change the filter etc and hope for the best.

Cheers :)
Checking the tank would be a good idea. So would not just starting every 2 weeks. You're doing more harm then damage just doing that. The engine warms some, warms up the fuel some then it cools and creates the moisture that's corroding your fuel cap. I can only imagine the moisture in the oil.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Checking the tank would be a good idea. So would not just starting every 2 weeks. You're doing more harm then damage just doing that. The engine warms some, warms up the fuel some then it cools and creates the moisture that's corroding your fuel cap. I can only imagine the moisture in the oil.
Thats not good.... :( What do you suggest i do regularly ?

Sometimes in trying to do the right thing you can cause more problems when you dont know.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Thats not good.... :( What do you suggest i do regularly ?

Sometimes in trying to do the right thing you can cause more problems when you dont know.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Ride it when you're going to but leave it until then. The engine can actually heat up to proper operating temp under load but not when it's just idling. It takes a bit even under load to do a proper heat cycle of the engine and get things up to full temp to burn off any moisture. It'll create a bit when it cools down but that will be burned off next time you ride it.

She's a beaut of a bike and you want to keep her purring. Idling an engine also builds up carbon. Put a battery tender on it too to keep the battery tip top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update with a before and after :)
Tank had a fair bit of rust and the filter done its job.

All sorted now with a kit ran through the tank new filter etc.

Question is from now on should i just make sure the tank is full when i park it or empty it everytime ?

Look i dont ride as much as id like at the moment prob half a dozen times a year, but to empty it every time is a pain in the ass.

If im better off doing that way i will.

Thanks in advance

Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Tank rust is generally caused by moisture.. the best way of avoiding rust is keeping the tank filled with high octane fuel, especially during idle periods. Lower octane fuel is primarily processed with ethanol aka alcohol, which typically attracts water. I suggest filling the tank with quality fuel and adding a little stabilizer during the off season. It protects the tank from condensation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tank rust is generally caused by moisture.. the best way of avoiding rust is keeping the tank filled with high octane fuel, especially during idle periods. Lower octane fuel is primarily processed with ethanol aka alcohol, which typically attracts water. I suggest filling the tank with quality fuel and adding a little stabilizer during the off season. It protects the tank from condensation.
,,,Word ! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts