Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...id the tech manage to change my belts without removing the plugs to check for TDC? :confused::confused::confused:
After doing the service on my 848 back then I kinda got lazy changing the belts just because the steps I gotta go through.
Now, he was a good mechanic (Relatively speaking) it only took him roughly 2hrs to finish the job.
When I looked through the windows, tank was never lifted, nor plugs, only the covers were off and the hoses/wires in the way were moved out of the place..I guess this is how the dealer took my money lol..:p
***Any of you guys have any idea how?
But other than that...I finally feel safe to go hit the tracks again..:D The bike had the original belts since 2010 so I changed them out for the safe measure.

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
They don't actually need to "find" TDC. They use a timing wheel to tell them where the crank is on its cycle. Then they put the cam blocks on and set the location of the cam's that way. Then, reading the timing wheel, they find TDC on the vertical cylinder and do the same process.

When you have the right tools, the belt change is very quick.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
How did he get the rear cyl belt cover off without removing the tank?
Sorry just saw we are talking Street Fighter maybe no need to pull the tank, I was thinking of my 1098.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't actually need to "find" TDC. They use a timing wheel to tell them where the crank is on its cycle. Then they put the cam blocks on and set the location of the cam's that way. Then, reading the timing wheel, they find TDC on the vertical cylinder and do the same process.

When you have the right tools, the belt change is very quick.
How do you know if the crank is on its cycle without having to turn it? I thought the plugs were supposed to be removed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wouldn't do this, as I'm ADD when it comes to my bike, but they may have just marked all the drive pulleys since the bike came in running fine. Put in the cam locks, count the exact number belt teeth between each allignment point on the pulleys and swap the belts out with the same figures and retention.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My understanding is the plugs come off so the engine turns easier with no compression. The pulleys have a T marker and line up at DTC. So completely possible.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks..I just wanted to clarify since I went the harder way back then removing most of the stuff even with the cam lock tool..
Something new to learn I guess..

·
Banned
5,501 Posts
How do you know if the crank is on its cycle without having to turn it? I thought the plugs were supposed to be removed.
They put a timing wheel on the left side of the engine.

Plugs are irrelevant, timing wheel tells all. ;)

Though I don't know how they did it without removing the tank either.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^yup...I was looking through the windows of the shop to the work area the whole time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts