Ducati.org forum banner

Will our bikes loose value and respect?

• no way! the bike speaks for itself!

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • unfortunately yes, the value will plumet and the bike will be forgoten as a never raced model

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • who cares this bike is awesome!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • they will only raise displacement to 1100 anyway and the 1098 will be king!

Votes: 1 3.4%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys first off i LOVE my bike, beautifull, powerfull, and the handling is amazing! however hearing that there will be a 1198 next year im left to wonder...why did Ducati even build our bikes? will the 1098 even be a model by 2009? will the value of our bikes be killed by this? the reason i wonder theese things is because Ducati will be racing the 999 again this year as the rules have not yet been amended to allow more displacement, and next year assuming they raise the limit to the 1200cc like Ducati petitioned for they will be racing the upcoming 1198. So what was the point of the 1098? if Ducati will never race it, and the 1198 is comming out will our bikes even be in the lineup in 09? and assuming this is the case will our bike be considered the redheaded step child in the Ducati lineup and therefor being as it was never raced, been the cheapest superbike, and only made for 07-08 make the value plumet?

EDIT: sorry about the misspelling of "lose" on the poll question, DOH!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Sorry, I jumped the gun.. I inadvertantly selected the first choice, when I really should have selected option #3.

They will always come out with something better, it's only natural. But that certainly doesn't take anything away from the 1098. It's a beautifully designed bike, simply gorgeous to look at and you never get tired of doing so. The moment you do (if that's possible) someone within mille-seconds will see it and remind you of what you have...it's the Ducati way..

This bike stands on it own and will undoubtedly stand the test of time as so many brothers before it.

Smeegle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In 2009 you and I might not even be alive so stop worring about it. Enjoy what you have now to the fullest. In 1994 the 916 came out and it only got better and better as the new model years came along. The guys who waited will wait forever like the man said there is always a new and better unit coming down the pipe. Investment wise, forget about it. You will never get back the money you put in the bike unless you never ride it, keep it in the original crate, just like some Geek with a GI Joe Doll.
Ride it, Love it and take good care of it so it will last you for years to come.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sagerider said:
In 2009 you and I might not even be alive so stop worring about it. Enjoy what you have now to the fullest. In 1994 the 916 came out and it only got better and better as the new model years came along. The guys who waited will wait forever like the man said there is always a new and better unit coming down the pipe. Investment wise, forget about it. You will never get back the money you put in the bike unless you never ride it, keep it in the original crate, just like some Geek with a GI Joe Doll.
Ride it, Love it and take good care of it so it will last you for years to come.

Agreed !!!!! :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
glad to see that thus far the overwhelming majority of people chose the same answer as i did (#3). I was talking this over with a friend of mine the other day who rides a 999, he was upset about the value losses his bike recently experienced thanks in no small part to the introduction of our bike, and he brought up the fact that the 1098 will most likely never be raced and therefore in his opinion would lose more value than his bike. My responce was that even when the 1198 hits the market it will likely be quite a bit more expensive and not really effect the value of our bikes that much just because of the price difference. While i agree with who cares as thats the option i chose and i plan to keep my Duc for at least 5 years, part of my decision to buy a ducati was the way they hold thier value better than any other make of bike. Im sure the gorgeous 1098 will be no acception!

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
ducati asked for cc displacement to be increased to 1200 knowing they'd only get 1100. that's the nature of bargaining. it's unlikely that the rules committee will give ducati the entire 200 cc bump. instead, they're likely to get a compromise, 1100cc. hence, the 1098. the only way the 1198 will ever be built is if the rules committee gives ducati the entire 200 cc bump, which is highly unlikely.

and if they do, so what? if it bothers you that there's a bigger dog on the block, trade in your 1098 for the 1198 if and when it ever appears. if the 1198 is ever built, (and for the time being i think that's unlikely), then we'll know how 999 owners felt. sort of. at least the 1198 won't be cheaper than the 1098.

at least for the time being, we're top dog. keep your fingers crossed. if the rules committee doesn't approve the 1200 cc class, there will be no 1198. it's that simple.

elton

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I wouldnt trade my 1098 in even if they do make an 1198. I love my bike and as someone pointed out earlier, there will allways be something bigger and better just around the corner. Im just happy i got one of the first 1098's built. I do however hope they only give Ducati the 100cc bump so i can watch my beloved 1098 whop jap crap arse!!!! and while were on the subject i think the 600cc class should allow the Triumph 675 to compete as well, if Ducati can have a 749 compete as a twin then why shouldnt Triumph be allowed to compete on a 675cc tripple?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
There is always going to be something better, it just like anything else.

If you like the 1098, buy now and be happy I say.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts