Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, I am going to look at a 2008 1098s this weekend and i was talking to the seller the other day and he informed me that if its not on a tender for a few weeks that its almost impossible to start. my first thought would be to replace the battery however i wanted to see if this was a normal occurrence not related to the battery. any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
These bikes do need a healthy, well charged battery to turn them over. If he doesn't want to start it for you then there could be all sorts of issues he's trying to hide - dead battery, knackered starter clutch, blown voltage regulator, or any number of other engine related problems. If he doesn't want to start it up then there must be a reason...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Well to tack on to what has been said. The starter clutch is fairly common to happen on these things. The battery is also a usual culprit. The starter clutch can run you $1k to get replaced and the battery is hopefully the issue. I would get it looked into and try swapping out the battery before you get it, if he will let you. If you are set on a getting a 1098/1198, I would just go ahead and get the battery and then I would recommend getting a lithium or anti-gravity battery for the extra juice and longevity. Whenever my VR went out, it happened randomly and I had to jump the bike, but then it just killed itself and wouldn't start at all so I wouldn't think it would be that. Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
he has no problem starting it up for me, in fact he still rides it from time to time. he has a newborn and no time to really ride it.
If it starts & runs OK and it just a case of the battery losing charge over a few weeks then I'd probably budget for a new battery plus charger. If the battery can't hold enough charge after a couple of weeks to start the bike then it's probably on its way out - assuming that the charging system (VR) is OK. If there's an alarm or other electrical drain on the bike whilst it is parked then that will make the battery drain faster.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
hello everyone, I am going to look at a 2008 1098s this weekend and i was talking to the seller the other day and he informed me that if its not on a tender for a few weeks that its almost impossible to start. my first thought would be to replace the battery however i wanted to see if this was a normal occurrence not related to the battery. any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
If it's got a good battery it should not need to be on a battery tender. I have left mine for weeks without leaving it on a tender after coming back from holidays and it starts no problem. I have heard some say if you are not going to ride for more then a few days you need to put it on a tender, this is not what I have found.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like sprag clutch to me.

If you let us know where you were we could help you more.

Get a $1000 dollar discount on his asking price or walk away.

Craig

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar issue on my 1198

I had a similar issue on my 1198. I would keep it on a tender and it would start OK when cold but then would be hard to start later when warm. I was worried it was going to leave me stranded or sitting at the staging area on a track day. I bought a new Yuasa battery and it solved the problem. Sometimes when it's warm it needs some cranking but the new battery keeps cranking rather than dropping out the solenoid.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Start with the battery. Have it load tested, replaced if necessary with a YUASA YT12BBS.

Secondly, upgrade the stock (high gauge, copper wire; inadequate flow) battery cables with the Motolectric kit. You can of course fashion your own, as many have. The key is to replace the stock cables with an oxygen free, lower gauge (thicker) set.

If the sprague clutch has become an issue, then make sure to replace ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. Sprague Clutch
2. Flange (sprague clutch housing that sits inside the flywheel and retains the sprague)
3. Electric Driven Gear

Not replacing these pieces in conjunction will force another repair job for the same issue prematurely.

If the major service is due on the bike and has not been done, then the valves may require some adjustment which would also play a crucial role in the starting/running condition of the bike. Not to mention having old belts on the motor...(along with a laundry list of other problems)

Perhaps this bike has not seen the kindest of care. Good luck with your decision mate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.