Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into possibly changing my exhaust setup with a more custom touch. Sticking with stainless, as trying to go Ti may well bankrupt me, lol. Goal is less weight up top, while still looking factory. Saw pics of a bike from a couple years ago and immedietely knew "that's what I want". Pretty sure that was a one-off creation, but am still waiting on a response back from that shop. I'm already prepared to hear I can't get my hands on one of their setups, so going to bring the idea to a local custom exhaust & fabrication shop here in MN and see what they think.

The closest thing to it is the Double-Dog Alpha.....and even though it is EXTREMELY lightweight and brings the exhaust mass from up high, there is no way in heck that is going on my bike. :-/

Has anyone here gone the custom route? I remember one member here doing a full iconel system done like the OEM undertail setup.

-Christian

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Are you meaning custom as in someone welding a system together or custom like in a different location?? The only way to make it lighter would be to do what Radical Ducati used to do and make a large exit single can system slung down the right hand side. Other than that, you'd dual cans is what makes most of the weight on a Ducati Superbike.

Akrapovic and Quat D both make complete Ti systems and that'll be the lightest dual muffler system you could manage.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you meaning custom as in someone welding a system together or custom like in a different location?? The only way to make it lighter would be to do what Radical Ducati used to do and make a large exit single can system slung down the right hand side. Other than that, you'd dual cans is what makes most of the weight on a Ducati Superbike.

Akrapovic and Quat D both make complete Ti systems and that'll be the lightest dual muffler system you could manage.
Both creation of a system and not in the OEM location. You've seen the setup before....just probably not on an 848/1x98.

And that's why I need to think about if I should do this or not....

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
A single muffler down the right side will reduce weight a fair bit. No "Y" connector, one muffler, less piping in the first place. I never did weight the difference between my stock set up and the single I built but it was a bit.

Keep in mind you need to keep the headers a certain length to scavenge the heads properly and while the front is easy to play with, the rear cylinder is tricky. With the shock linkage there, trying to run the rear pipe any where but it's present location would be next to impossible.

We put a custom exhaust on a 748 and it was a nightmare trying to get the pipes equal length to keep the tuning proper. We finally ended up going with the front cylinder piping and muffler down by the right foot and the rear cylinder equal length under the tail. 2 individual pipes. Sounded REALLY mean and was a true dual exhaust.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about 1 undertail and 1 side exit. Motogp style.

This is as side exit as I'd want to go. I couldn't bring myself to do the mini-Hotbodies Growler canister on the side like the current GP bikes do.

This '07 Desmo-style is going to be poser enough on the 848. :-/ At least the only people that will know what it's from at most of the trackdays I do will be other Duc nuts and MotoGP fans, which sadly aren't plentiful.

I just wish they had an on track vid of it in action for agility & sound viewing....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What about the full Arata exhaust in titanium. Still two cans, but a true full exhaust with cross-overs to maximize power gains, and light.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts

This is as side exit as I'd want to go. I couldn't bring myself to do the mini-Hotbodies Growler canister on the side like the current GP bikes do.

This '07 Desmo-style is going to be poser enough on the 848. :-/ At least the only people that will know what it's from at most of the trackdays I do will be other Duc nuts and MotoGP fans, which sadly aren't plentiful.

I just wish they had an on track vid of it in action for agility & sound viewing....
This is basically what we did on the 748 I mentioned. We had one exit down by the right foot and the other under the tail. We didn't create a whole tail piece for it but as the 748 solo is hollow back there, was easy to tuck it up nice and tight.

I like this 848 exhaust. I actually have it as a wallpaper on my computer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one but, I wish I could she how that exhaust is routed. Anyone have any links showing a "wardrobe malfunction" of that?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been looking. Nothing on their site or on their FB. That would be the 'money shot' as far as figuring out how to reconstruct it if it isn't purchasable.

I'm sticking with the Akras for one more season. Figure the bike is going to draw enough attention to itself without a one-off exhaust, lol.

Still want to hear how that thing sounds, though. Doesn't appear to have much muffling, so the "bark" would probably sound pretty intimidating. :)

·
Registered
8,735 Posts
If you do go the route of custom exhaust, make sure you have someone do it who knows what they're doing. Any skilled welder can weld some pipes together, but believe me...designing a proper exhaust takes some engineering skills too, not just welding. I know someone who made a custom one that looked awesome for a 999...didn't even last a year, and cracked. I wouldn't be surprised if it also negatively affected the performance. Companies like Akrapovic, and many others put a lot of time and development effort to make something lighter and better, that also lasts and looks good. I think you'd have a hard time coming up with something lighter/better, and still using stainless.

I think this guy had it figured out though. Maybe he's got some sketches you can use and replicate! LOL

Reactions: Joeii

·
Registered
150 Posts
You could always use your existing piping from the Akra and put custom cans on it. Or just shorten the cans you'd be surprised how much better the exhaust looks when it doesn't stick out past the tail. I cut roughly 5" off of my termi's because it was damaged in a off track "excursion". Looks so much better now. I like that Desmo tail piece too, you could always just add a 2-1 y pipe and run one of those. I'd think the exhaust canister would have plenty of flow for the 848.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts