Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im stumped, i have no idea whats going on here.. I just noticed the bright headlight wasn't turning on last week. so i start my troubleshooting.. Bulb, nope bulb is good, headlight relay, nope working fine, wiring pinch/short, nope im getting 12v at the connector for the bulb.. I have to be missing something? why isn't that 12v lighting up my bulb??

·
Registered
438 Posts
In my general experience, generally in life.. U did something when you messed with something.
Start from there and work backwards. Electrical is easy enough to deal with, just time consuming that's all.

If your getting power and the low beam headlight is working. I would check the high beam wring and bulb connector. Maybe a blown fuse?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Or you could have a break in the wire near the connector that comes good when you move the wire to check it with the meter. The break makes contact when you move the wire. Seen this a work plenty of times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bulb is good, I've swapped it over to the low beam side multiple times just to make sure I'm not crazy.. I've looked around at the wiring and even moved it around to see if I was getting any type of short near there, but I didn't see anything and the movement didn't cause the light to illuminate.. Maybe I'm just missing it.. I thought maybe dirty connecters that it wasn't getting good contact with the bulb wiring I cleaned it up a bit and it still wasn't working.. I'll recheck for shorts near the connector tomorrow and see what I find.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Does the bulb light if you hit the flash to pass button? Might be bad contact in the switches there so you can measure 12 V with a digital voltmeter but it can't deliver enough current. Try checking for voltage with a standard test light

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the bulb light if you hit the flash to pass button? Might be bad contact in the switches there so you can measure 12 V with a digital voltmeter but it can't deliver enough current. Try checking for voltage with a standard test light
12v is present with the pass button but the bulb still doesn't illuminate. that is my only guess is that for some reason the contact isn't happening.. i haven't had a chance to look into it further since ive been working all weekend, but ill keep troubleshooting to figure it out next week.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check the negative or ground side of the connect to the chassis or frame ground to make sure you have continuity. Since you have voltage and a good bulb your just missing your grounding connection to make it work properly.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I'm pretty certain both bulbs share the same common earth circuit. Check the clips inside the bulb connector are not loose on the bulb tangs. Having replaced a few bulb connectors that have burned out/melted I suspect some are not making a decent connection inside and the resistance produces enough heat to cook them. If you have power at the plug and the bulb is good I cannot think of anything else other than the above.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts