Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Just bought 2013 848 EVO. On the ride home from dealer both headlights fogged up after riding it 20-30 minutes.

I asked dealer, they said they can clean it inside. ??? I said I dont need it cleaned, I need it replaced. They werent very receptive, said that if Ducati says to replace it, they will... but the issue will most likely be there as well...

Then also said that its a common known issue. Nothing to do about it. man, got me mad. How can this be? Its a known issue and nothing is done about it?

Do you guys have issues with your 848s? This is a 2013 model, so I thought all of the issues should have been worked out.

Well, when I take it for the 600 mile service, will have to press the dealer on the issue.

This is not a big deal; I love the bike, but feel like this shouldn't happen on a brand new purchase.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If the vents aren't functioning properly they will fog and even have liquid pooled in them. This happens to car headlights even on $500k McLaren SLR's. Put your bike on a proper stand (not the kick stand, and let it run in neutral in a warm garage for twenty/thirty minutes and the head from the headlights will eventually turn the water to vapor and they will vent out. If it is clouded from some other contamination- It may be due to some corrosion on contamination on the bulbs themselves actually smoking inside the unit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2013 does it to. There are threads on this forum stating that this is common, normal and Ducati states the fix is to supposedly drill small holes on the bottom of the headlamp back covers. I have yet to do it myself though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2013 does it to. There are threads on this forum stating that this is common, normal and Ducati states the fix is to supposedly drill small holes on the bottom of the headlamp back covers. I have yet to do it myself though.
Roger that. Heard about the hole drilling. Dealer aslo said they can do it. Oh well...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the vents aren't functioning properly they will fog and even have liquid pooled in them. This happens to car headlights even on $500k McLaren SLR's. Put your bike on a proper stand (not the kick stand, and let it run in neutral in a warm garage for twenty/thirty minutes and the head from the headlights will eventually turn the water to vapor and they will vent out. If it is clouded from some other contamination- It may be due to some corrosion on contamination on the bulbs themselves actually smoking inside the unit.
Thing is it will come back again next ride. it does go away overnight, but as soon as I ride it for 20-30 min - it comes back...

May end up having dealer drill the holes in the housings...

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2012 Evo and had this issue for while. I left it out in the sun on a very hot and dry summer day for several hours and it did the trick. I haven't had an issue since then.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 2009 did it. I reported it to the dealership and Ducati said the fix is to drill small holes in the rear harness cover/cap. After they did this, the problem never came back. I did all the things suggested by others above and it never solved the problem until after the holes were drilled. I posted pics of the holes in the rear cap on another thread here a while back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2009 did it. I reported it to the dealership and Ducati said the fix is to drill small holes in the rear harness cover/cap. After they did this, the problem never came back. I did all the things suggested by others above and it never solved the problem until after the holes were drilled. I posted pics of the holes in the rear cap on another thread here a while back.
ZX10GUY, can you post the link to that thread, so that I can show it to the dealer if they don't know the location where to drill the holes. In advance, thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thing is it will come back again next ride. it does go away overnight, but as soon as I ride it for 20-30 min - it comes back...

May end up having dealer drill the holes in the housings...

Thanks for your feedback.

The idea is to leave the vehicle stationary in a warm dry place rather than having moist airflow on the lens creating more condensation. Riding will not help the situation

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gently pry out the Plastic Plugs on the backside of the Headlight Module and check the white (very fragile) vapor filters. They look like small wafers and set back in where the Plastic Plug is removed from.

One of mine still had some sort of clear thin plastic wrapping on it and essentially caused a lack of air circulation inside the Headlight Module --

·
Registered
446 Posts
ZX10GUY, can you post the link to that thread, so that I can show it to the dealer if they don't know the location where to drill the holes. In advance, thanks!
Here you go. It's just easier for me to repost the pic. I also see you're in DC. Who is your dealer? Is it Coleman's? I had this done at Battley's where I bought my bike. Conway is the service manager there and was the one that found out about this fix from Ducati. The hole you see is pretty small but is enough to make a difference. Also, you don't even see it as the hole is facing the ground.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I wouldn't say it's common I would stay on it tell they replace the assembly if needed.

·
Registered
550 Posts
My 2008 does it. Is just a foggy headlight, doesn't hinder anything. Just be glad you have a real Ducati and not a cheap china knock-off.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gently pry out the Plastic Plugs on the backside of the Headlight Module and check the white (very fragile) vapor filters. They look like small wafers and set back in where the Plastic Plug is removed from.

One of mine still had some sort of clear thin plastic wrapping on it and essentially caused a lack of air circulation inside the Headlight Module --
David, thanks. Will try this after I do the "sitting in the sun for a few hrs" method.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here you go. It's just easier for me to repost the pic. I also see you're in DC. Who is your dealer? Is it Coleman's? I had this done at Battley's where I bought my bike. Conway is the service manager there and was the one that found out about this fix from Ducati. The hole you see is pretty small but is enough to make a difference. Also, you don't even see it as the hole is facing the ground.

Battley's is where I bought the bike and I know Connway and this is who I talked to the other day.

The photo is not showing...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 2008 does it. Is just a foggy headlight, doesn't hinder anything. Just be glad you have a real Ducati and not a cheap china knock-off.
Love the Duc! I'm usued to riding the R6 - rode it for 6 years. The Duc is so different in riding than the R6, as well as the sound, controls (throttle response etc.). Its gonna take a while to get used to the L Twin configuration, but the bike is very responsive, handles like a dream.

I'm very proud to be a Ducati rider!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Battley's is where I bought the bike and I know Connway and this is who I talked to the other day.

The photo is not showing...
Really? Don't know why he doesn't remember the fix. He's the one that researched it for me when I reported the problem back around 2009/10ish.

Is anyone else not seeing the picture? I can see it.

·
Court Jester
12,080 Posts
I can see it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts