Ducati.org forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm having a few problems removing the square shape exhaust heat sheild above the right heal gard. I want to replace it with the carbon exhaust shaped one. The allen key just spins and I can't seem to get to the back of it due to the exhaust being there. Even so, the new exhaust sheild holes don't seem to line up.

Do I need new ring clamps around the pipes or what??

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like you have a couple of issues going on here.

First it sounds like the attaching screws are messed up and will need to be replaced once you have them out. They are threaded into mounting tabs that should be welded to the pipes and are threaded so that no nut is used on the back side. You can either drill into them and try an easy out, or I have taken a torx head socket thats slightly bigger the the bunged out allen head and tap it gently in the hole and remove it that way.

Now you need to identify what the cf heat shield you are using to replace the metal one fits. The standard spacing is found on most of the non 998 bikes is 130 mm, 998 use a 75 mm spacing. It may be that you have a 998 piece that causes the issue with the alignment, since I assume the bike in question is a 996. There are kits available to allow fitment of a 998 type to a 748-996 bike and vica versa. Hope this helps.
F

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks heaps for your help Fran. The exhaust sheild I have is a '998 style' one for my 996. I have since found some clips on ebay which will help me to attach it once i get the other one off. Your help on this was great...thanks. As it doesn't look like i will need to re-use the existing hole i may as well drill it out!!! Fingers crossed. Thanks for your help.
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts