Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Ocford Sport grips. Smart controller turns off if you forget to and the 4 levels of heat are great for various conditions. Sealed in the event of riding in the rain.....or snow. Price point is great. Heated gear that is out in the elements is not something you want to find the cheapest one. Being as your hands are exposed to a lot of wind on a naked bike, the single or dual level heat grips won't cut it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just ordered the Oxford ones.
I think my right hand may be getting too much vibration as well. Seems to get sore fairly quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Always wondered about how good heated grips actually are when it's the tops of your hands that get the cold wind. Years past, I bought a set of Gerbings heated gloves that were great in all kinds of cold, but still not sure about just heated grips.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I've used heated grips and the heat from the palms radiates out to the tops. I've ridden in temps down as low at 4C (38F) and speeds around 120K (75mph) and they work. Your hands will get chilled but they will stay warm enough to stay mobile with no stiffness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used heated grips and the heat from the palms radiates out to the tops. I've ridden in temps down as low at 4C (38F) and speeds around 120K (75mph) and they work. Your hands will get chilled but they will stay warm enough to stay mobile with no stiffness.
Makes sense. Have to keep that in mind. I'm typically pushing 30° on my morning commutes to work..

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
The Oxford grips have the wires coming off the grips. Not much you can do about that. They are encased so they look like a cable or line of some sort.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a palaver.
initially used double sided tape to stick the grips down but the heat caused the adhesive to soften.
stuck them down with superglue and got it under the throttle tube.:(
had to disassemble throttle and remove glue from inside tube and bar which was in a bit of a mess.

Job done :yo:

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Yes the Oxford being hard rubber don't stick very well to the bar or the throttle tube like soft rubber grips do and the heat will eventually loosen grip glue. I ended up having to use a screw underneath to secure it to the throttle housing and one underneath to secure the left side to the switch housing. Hasn't moved in 2yrs now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anybody can help me with install for the oxford sport grip? Dealer said I cant install heated grips for the ride by wire system... I think they bullshitted me. As for the connection, they only thing i see is the service cable underneath the seat, which i used to charge the battery, can i use this port for the heated grip? Auto part Vehicle Trunk Car

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm not familiar with that brand but in my duc I use Daytona heated grips installed myself. 5 different heating levels. I ran mine into the fuse block on my bike getting ready to start year 3 work like a charm.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
You could add a connector on to the heated grips and plug them right in to the charger port for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anybody can help me with install for the oxford sport grip? Dealer said I cant install heated grips for the ride by wire system... I think they bullshitted me. As for the connection, they only thing i see is the service cable underneath the seat, which i used to charge the battery, can i use this port for the heated grip? View attachment 90082

I wouldn't be connecting anything there. Why can't you connect directly to the battery?

Leroy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't be connecting anything there. Why can't you connect directly to the battery?

Leroy

Why not? Because the battery is hard to reach I thought connecting directly will be a good choice as it output a 12v
Anybody have a picture of the Oxford grips on m821?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just because you find a wire with 12v on it doesn't mean its capable of carrying the required current. How much current do the grips draw?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.