Ducati.org forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to get me some heated gear for Christmas and I am looking for recommendations on different brands. Right now I'm primarily looking for a heated jacket liner and possibly add some heated glove liners as well that attach to the jacket. Further down the road I may get some pant liners and socks that also attach. Anyone have any suggestions? I know that most heated gear must be connected to the battery. Any issues here with OEM battery powering all of the gear? Last but not least, is there any heated gear that is powered by stand alone battery packs which don't require connecting to the battery. I would love to ride more in the winter months.
:kaioken::kaioken::kaioken::kaioken::kaioken:

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
I run heated vest, heated grips and GPS all at once on the Superbike charging system and it handles it all quite well.

Not sure if you have the brand Black Jack in US but they make great basic heated vest or jacket liner and very affordable and durable. Gerbing?? is another good brand but much more expensive. They have a full line of liners, pants, gloves etc etc and are well spoken of. Tourmaster make heated gear also but unless their cording systems have improved over the past few years, they tend to be hit or miss if they will last more than a few wearings.

I used to have battery heated gear when I worked in a freezer but found it couldn't put out enough heat and died within a few hrs any ways.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pat. I had the same thought about the battery operated heating, and if I am going out for a ride it is typically 4-8 hours, not many short runs. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread about this as I am sure a lot of people would ride more if they were warm. I've tried the trick of wearing latex gloves under my leather gloves but did't really help much. On my monster I would warm my gloves on the engine casing!

Reactions: Scubaman

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Yeah I tried a few glove things before I went to heated grips. Leather keeps a lot of wind out and the lower body gets some warmth off the engine but the upper body and hands in particular are out in the cold. Anything lower than 55F and my hands suffered. Below 50 and the body suffered also. Gotta keep the core warm.

I got the vests for my wife and I and with the heated grips, I can ride comfortably down to 40F for an hr before needing a quick warm up. I originally installed Oxford Sportbike grips and they worked while but unfortunately were a bit thicker than regular grips. They use a nice heat controller so I used that item, got some normal grips and those $15 heat elements and wired things together and now have the same heat with a small size grip.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my limited research it looks like Gerbing and Warm & Safe are the two leaders. Anyone with experience with the Warm & Safe products? A nice thing about them is that you can return your used heated gear for a discount towards newer generation products whenever you want or whenever they come out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Gerbing G3 gloves, jacket liner, heated socks, and dual controller. Excellent gear and very good customer service. I might be upgrading the gloves this year. I didn't see a need for the heated pant liners - I use leather pants and Freeze-Out long johns. All that being said, I only use the heated gear on my Harley as I have been concerned about the charging system supporting it on the Panigale.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run Warm and safe gear, heated gloves, heated jacket and heated socks and ride year round and have had them for about 4 years and no issues at all.
Ive ridden down to 20 degrees F and have had some very enjoyable rides... Oh and im on a 08 MTS 1100s and never had any charging issues or battery issue's

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have an original Gerbings jacket liner, Gerbings T5 Gloves, Gerbings Insoles and a Warm and Safe dual wireless controller.

I use these mostly on my Goldwing.

The original Gerbings company sold out a few years ago, warranties went downhill as well as quality from what I've read.

The original Gerbings owner is now making heated gear again Gordon Gerbing Welcomes You!

To control more than one heated item, you'll need a dual heat controller, otherwise, you'll find one item cooking you and be feeling no heat from the others.

With the Dual wireless controller, I run my jacket off one knob/thermostat and my gloves and insoles off the other.

I have one physical wired connection between the bike and I.

The dual wireless controller is zip tied to my handlebars for easy access.

You need a heat controller, otherwise, you'll be switching it on and off every couple of minutes. The liner can get very hot. I run mine on a 20-30% setting on a 30 degree day.

On a chilly day, you have to remind yourself that it's 30 degrees web you feel all toasty and warm, just like it was a mid 70's day.

I bought my friend and his wife a set of Warm and Safe gear, a couple of years ago and they love them. He runs his off his ST3 and she off her BMW GS650.

This is the power plug from the battery.

Inside my jacket sits the Warm and Safe wireless controller receiver. I made an elastic pocket, inside the jacket pocket to hold it.

The wiring inside my liner.

The Warm and Safe wireless controller. Gold knob controls the jacket liner, Red knob controls the gloves and insoles.
If the wireless receiver fails to communicate with the controller, it defaults to 30% heat.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
150 Posts
Be sure to check with Home :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear (aerostitch) and look for their thermostat which plugs inbetween, is small and unobtrusive and works very well. The light flashes faster with more heat setting until it stays on for full heat. And it does in fact cut the drain from the battery on the lower settings, unlike some thermostats.

There are many jackets and options in their catalog also. I've only used the Gerbing jacket so I cannot suggest anything else. The gloves are wonderful though!

Reactions: Dennisnyc40

·
Registered
268 Posts
MobileWarming is what I rock. I have the battery heated jacket and gloves. The jacket is nice because you can hop off the bike, then kick the heat down to 25-50% while at work and stay warm also! With about a 30 min ride and then having it on the lower setting and then 30 min ride with it on high again, it lasted me about 10 hours

1 - 11 of 11 Posts